Muffler located under the cab noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Looking for a quick answer hopefully, I'm probably gonna drop my truck off at the muffler shop in a few hours. I'm changing up my exhaust set up, looking to do a dual side exit in front of the rear tire. Doing this put my new Borla muffler right under the back seat. Since I'm having a shop bend in my exit pipes, I don't have any pipes after the muffler at the moment. The drive into work today gave me a pounding headache so now I'm worried adding 2 feet of pipe isn't going to make that much of a difference. Anyone else have this set up? How bad is the noise from the muffler that close to the cab after all the pipes are done? Am I better off just moving the muffler back further and running duals out the back?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't think I'd want the muffler that close to the cab unless I'd slapped on a couple cartons of dynomat, or other sound dampening applique.

I have seen the dual side-outlet kits for a number of mufflers, but you already bought the Borla.

That's a good muffler, but you're in snow and salt country so if you are only paying for aluminized steel pipe, instead of stainless, you'll need to watch your exhaust carefully and wash the underside frequently to prevent rust through.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'll get a quote for stainless. I think I'll end up trying the side exit. If it's too much I'll just change it up again and run it out the back. Since this is about the 5th time changing the exhaust around, once more shouldn't hurt...

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll get a quote for stainless. I think I'll end up trying the side exit. If it's too much I'll just change it up again and run it out the back. Since this is about the 5th time changing the exhaust around, once more shouldn't hurt...

on my 04 hemi i had a flowmaster super 44 (quiter then my 10 series) and i had it ran out infront of the pass side rear tire with a diesel tip lol it was still pretty loud in the cab, but definitely quiter then my set up now but my muffler now is also a louder muffler so yeah. but considering your build, anything other then ran all the way out the back is probably going to be loud in the cab. the exhaust in front of the rear tire is still basically exiting under the cab, though it will be noticeably quiter then just running how you are now out the muffler lol

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Dang. I waited almost 3 years to ditch the OEM beast. During that time I read and listened to everything I could find, even some outright idiot talk.

When I pulled the trigger I went with a 24" Magnaflow as part of a Mufflex stainless bolt on kit. Then I added 5" chrome tips. I have all the positives and none of the negatives. Great sound at start, nice but not overly loud idle and really great sound under load, without any annoying drone on the highway. I have rear duals and have not towed yet, so perhaps that might be an issue, but otherwise I've got good sound without making my neighbors hate me. :flamingdevil:

Good luck whatever you decide!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Chris. It won't be as bad as your dumps. I had the same thing in my Raptor. I had a dump before the axle and hated it. Too much resonance and drone. Extended it out the side in front of the tire with still using the same muffler and it made a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hey Chris. It won't be as bad as your dumps. I had the same thing in my Raptor. I had a dump before the axle and hated it. Too much resonance and drone. Extended it out the side in front of the tire with still using the same muffler and it made a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok good thanks. The resonance was so bad I had a pounding headache when I got to work! I knew it was because it was dumped but I wasn't sure 2' of pipe would make a huge difference. Getting the perfect exhaust is so aggravating sometimes.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok good thanks. The resonance was so bad I had a pounding headache when I got to work! I knew it was because it was dumped but I wasn't sure 2' of pipe would make a huge difference. Getting the perfect exhaust is so aggravating sometimes.

OH trust me I know. almost every vehicle I have owned had several setups on it trying to find the right one. that 2' of pipe should make a big difference. just make sure they get the tip(s) out past the cab just a little.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah I'm gonna have them run the pipe out, I'll pick my tips out later and cut them in myself

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
I got a Gibson dual turnout it was on the truck when I bought it.Alot of people like the sound but you don't open rear passenger window the darn thing is loud.I would much rather have it come out the back.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a magnaflow si/so 14 or 18"(can't remember been so long) dumped under truck an the muffler sits between the cab an bed. It's definitely will get your attention, but I had the stock exhaust cut off after muffler before the setup now an it was much more annoying in cab on highway. I'd still like to quiet mine down an run it more towards the end of the bed

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
$130, getting the side exit pipes installed tommorow. I'll post up what I think of them later. The muffler is starting to really grow on me, can't wait to see if it calms down a touch with the pipes

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to see you are enjoying the muffler!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Got the pipes installed today. Wow! What a difference! I absolutely love it. I was really worried at first how loud it was, but it is nice and quiet at idle, absolutely NO drone at cruising. You can barely hear it driving down the highway. But when you give it the gas you really know it's there. The installer did a great job, I'll post some pics once I get the tips installed later this week.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome!!! If you get a chance get a video. would love to hear that!