Need advice on chip or tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiggerDerrik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently inherited a 2004 1500 5.7 QC 4X4 with 3.55 rear end, only has 85k miles on it. I'm soon to be towing a TT which weighs in at 6000lbs empty, 7000gvwr. Truck came from the dealer with a tow package (according to the window sticker). I have added a tranny temp guage and an auxiliary cooler. Do you guys recommend adding a chip/tuner? I live in some pretty hilly area (Western Washington). I know my way around the mechanics of vehicles but chips/tuners are not something I've ever played with.

Thank you for your time and replies.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm unfamiliar about tuning a 2004 5.7, but my 06' was a breeze. Bought a used Superchips tuner off of ebay, and it is literally plug in (wait up to an hour to load it all up the first time) and play.

Definitely worth the money.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're going to be towing 7000lbs, I would put gears in it. They will help you a whole lot more than a tuner towing up those hills.

OP
OP
D

DiggerDerrik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're going to be towing 7000lbs, I would put gears in it. They will help you a whole lot more than a tuner towing up those hills.

I'm going to check on that tomorow. Setting up differentials is out of my area of expertise, and possibly over my buget. If it is affordable I would imagine skipping the 3.92 and going straight to 4.10 gears would be my best bet. I don't drive the truck much, so any mileage decrease wouldn't be that big of a deal.