Need HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ceruddick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry about the length of this post, but I'm in dire need of help. I have done some basic checking but the issue has me stumped. Here it goes!

Have a 2005 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 160K on motor. It quit running about 3 weeks ago when my mom was driving it. Engine just stopped running after she made a left turn and started to accelerate. There were no issues, no knocks, no warning signs. All lights were still on. And she had brake lights, flashers, interior lights, etc. Check engine light came on. Truck cranks and tries to start, but is producing a higher pitched squeal or squeak on the driver's side. Sounds like it is trying to start but is out of time. Squeal sounds is within the motor, not an exterior squeal like a belt or pulley.

Took the truck to a local mechanic and he said simply, "The motor's shot! You will need to put a new motor in it." Then wanted to charge about $4k to install a new motor. I asked him to be more specific about what was wrong with the motor, but he couldn't give a solid answer.

Truck is throwing a P0406 code, but that isn't giving much help at this point. I have checked all fuses. I am thinking it may be the PCM/ECM/ ECU. Has anyone else had experiences like this? Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

RR7_905RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Without looking at the truck it's pretty much anyone's guess as to what's wrong.

P0406 is usually related to the EGR valve!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Silly question, have you checked that the fuel pump is coming on?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do a compression test, sounds like timing chain broke/jumped.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I was thinking it could be the timing chain as well but yeah, with nothing else to go on it's just a guess. It might help if you could post a video of the sound it's making.