Need Help Choosing My Next Mod

What Should Be My Next Mod?

• Gears

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Torque Converter

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, it is time for me to start planning (and saving) for my next mod. The next two things on my list are a set of gears and a torque converter. I am torn as far as what to go with next. What do you guys think would be the best choice? I have to start planning now for what my next move is going to be.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
are you 4wd? something made that pop into my head.........

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, gears wouldn't be cheap since it would be two diffs and I would have to go to a shop. The converter I can do the install myself so it would just be the cost of the converter.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Given your 0-60 Time, Teach, I would say you got 3.92 Factory LSD, so unless you go DTT or Auburn that will save some $$$, However If I had 3.92's I would go TC first my Man. Have you thought about a Sharadon Stage 2 VB or at least Transgo Shift Lit at same Time?

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have thought about the trans go kit but have heard mixed reviews of it where some guys say it makes a difference and others say that they feel nothing from the trans go kit.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh no i voted before i read all the replies. ill take my gears vote back and add it to the TC

BEAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 HEMI 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say TC because of the expense of the gears and it would be quicker install. Gears would be second.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TC for sure. then start saving up for the gears. my only advice is to not go too high a stall if you plan on towing. and also, make sure you have adequate cooling ie: larger cooler, or deep finned pan, or both.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Converter for sure. On the transgo kit I have one waiting to go in and have alsoheard mixed results but for 60 its worth trying. I have heard some trucks like the shift kit better then the whole new valve bodys its just how your computer reacts to it.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Flip a coin... I love the TC and felt it made a much bigger difference than the gears did... BUT gears make things so much fun.... BUT so does the TC.... BUT you also have a decent cam in there now so day to day driving I would go gears then the TC... BUT the TC makes launching from a light SOOOOOOOOO much fun (if you can keep it straight) and enables you to put more power to the ground while the gears do not.... BUT if you do the TC you have to make sure that the stall also takes in consideration what gearing you will end up running which can sometimes not feel to great until you get the gears in.... And then the gears have a 500mile break in period where you cant take it out and just romp on it so you have to baby it while the tc you can basically get in and go....

It really is a tough call after doing both of them, but I dont know how the TC would act with out the gearing since I did the gears first. If money is an issue Id go TC first, if not I'd probably do the gears first.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gears is obviously a greeeat Mod cause all the gear guys are voting..LOL. Funny thing too is when I bought my Truck I didn't know diddly cause if I did I wouldn't have bought her with the 3:55'....oh well some day fellows....I remember taking a new 2007 rental QC Hemi on a romp at work in the Explosives Compound (18MPH Max) floored it at about 30 MPH and let it wind out until I ran out of Fencing and that was the day I realized my truck was slower and always though maybe I had gotten a lemon. Well in hindsite I realize the only difference was it was brand new and musta had an LSD with 3.92's so if 3:55 to 3.92 is a blast then 3:55 to 4:56 will be killer for me and a blast for teach.

There I'm done blabbing...Rocket you out there Buddy...Later Guys gotta drive 300 miles round trip to take my youngest to the airport shes flying to the East to see the Grandparents and eat Lobster... Gonna use the PT Cruiser as it will be cheaper on Fuel, Besides I would prolly get road rage in the Big City.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Here's my 2 cents on the basic mods. I feel gears are essential for a nice performing truck. But depending on what the individual is looking to get from his truck a TC may not be what he wants. A street truck without internal engine mods may not benefit from a TC. I see a TC as a serious mod that exploits a camshaft that has less lowend torque than stock. Ported BV heads move the torque band upwards same as a camshaft can move the torque upwards. These mods weaken the lowend and this is when you need a TC with a higher stall than stock to bring the entire performance package together.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Not necessarily VA - One of the better features of a good TC is the fact that it can and will reduce some parasitic loss through the drive train and enable you to get more power to the wheels. Most claim around a 6% gain to the wheels over stock. The Stall on the otherhand will help move your launches into the right rpm range depending on other mods that you have in there already or are planning on doing later on in the future.

So if you are running with the stock cam and dont plan on doing anything more to the engine than basic bolt ons or you are satisfied with a lowend cam you can get a performance converter with around the same stall as stock that will still put you in the right range for the other mods while on the other hand if you want to go with a more mid to top end cam and new heads you can increase the stall to get you to the powerband faster there as well. The thing is with a converter IMO is you really have to plan things out based on what you intend to do with the truck to get the right stall for your setup. Pick it wrong and you'll run into issues, pick it right and you'll LOVE it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Not necessarily VA - One of the better features of a good TC is the fact that it can and will reduce some parasitic loss through the drive train and enable you to get more power to the wheels. Most claim around a 6% gain to the wheels over stock. The Stall on the otherhand will help move your launches into the right rpm range depending on other mods that you have in there already or are planning on doing later on in the future.

So if you are running with the stock cam and dont plan on doing anything more to the engine than basic bolt ons or you are satisfied with a lowend cam you can get a performance converter with around the same stall as stock that will still put you in the right range for the other mods while on the other hand if you want to go with a more mid to top end cam and new heads you can increase the stall to get you to the powerband faster there as well. The thing is with a converter IMO is you really have to plan things out based on what you intend to do with the truck to get the right stall for your setup. Pick it wrong and you'll run into issues, pick it right and you'll LOVE it.

I pretty much agree with you as we are both making the same point. Plan out what you want from your engine and carefully select the pieces that helps it perform in that manner. The 6% gain claimed by some TC manufactures I think might be hard to prove. But certainly there are reasons to use aftermarket TC, from towing to 5000 rpm launches. But again it takes a specifically designed engine to fully utilize the TC and I feel if an engine is internally stock the original TC may do just fine and the cost of replacing the original TC would be better spent on other mods. Just because we can do a mod doesn't necessary mean the mod should be done. IMO, Planning is key to everything.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some good discussion, as always.. so if you go TC first, I'm sure you will have one built specific that will take the 456 gear mod into consideration, but I bet you're starting to lean towards the gearing mods first as that one will create Zero issues other than more $$. Not gonna Jack here but wanto say, I don't regret getting my TC, just the 6.1 Cam (wrong for my QC) and when all done I'm gonna be shoppin for drag radials too.

Any decision yet Teach!