Need Serious help fast!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Well, my work truck (landscaping) truck that I use to operate daily business failed today. So now not only am I out a fortune it looks like to have it fixed, I'm possibly going to lose some customers and contacts in the meantime if I don't get this fixed soon.

So today the truck decided to go haywire.

First issue:

The CEL came on. The truck out of no where started acting really funny. When shutting the truck off and removing the key, the truck still runs for seconds before it shuts off. I took it to Auto Zone and some codes came up. First one being, Bad Fuel Pump. Okay, I knew this one was coming, the gas hand has been bouncing up and down for the last six months, so it was bound for it to happen.

On to the next problem with a question, I received another code: P0891. It says Transmission relay always on. TCM has detected that the transmission relay output is higher than 3 volts when commanded off. Probable cause; short circuit condition, failed relay, faulty ecm.

After leaving Autozone, pulling my landscaping trailer, I had to pull over. Thought I was dragging something on the trailer. It almost felt as if I we're trying to drive with the e-brake on. When I would catch a red-light the truck would "drag" when trying to take off slow like it didn't want to move. After a few seconds it would get rolling, and then would move just fine.

Could anyone tell me could this just be the relay fuse for the transmission or something much worse? If this is the relay, I believe I found them in stock for $13.00, so someone make me sleep easier tonight.

BWD R4807 - Relay - Multi-Use | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
You can generally switch fuses around to see if one might be acting up. Before I started losing customers I would rent a truck from Lowe's or somewhere and do my very best to keep the customer's happy.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Couldn't tell you a cause but it sounds like you're stuck in limp mode.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Grab a copy of an FSM and find out exactly what relay the p0891 is referring to and where its located. If the relay is serviceable, replace it, or if possible switch it with another similar relay and try to duplicate the DTC. If no DTC, problem solved. If it returns, then we proceed through the diagnosis steps.

Also confirm the code means in the FSM what auto zone said it means. They tend to not have very good descriptions when dealing with mfr specific DTC s. Also don't let them sell you a fuel pump for a problem that can be fixed with a fuel level sending unit. The sending unit that controls the gauge can be purchased separately, though it is attached to the pump.