need some help on current head gasket replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyNavajo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SLT
My 2005 4.7 blew a head gasket. Local mechanics quoted me around 2k to fix. So I decided to tackle this beast myself. Got the Haynes and studied some pretty good YouTube videos. I'm all the way to removing the cam gear bolt. Crank is set at TDC and V8s at the 12 o'clock position. I did not remove the rocker arms prior because I couldn't justify spending 100 on the custom valve spring tool. So with the locking pliars on the cam shaft I attempted to break lose the 16 mm bolt with a breaker bar. No chance in hell. I got out the impact and somehow the vibrations from me trying to crack the driver bolt, the passenger cam rotated 45 degrees counter clockwise. The crank didn't move and is still TDC. I still cannot get the bolt off. Obviously with the interference I'm worried about contact when the cam shifted. Should I continue to attempt to remove the bolt, even with the passenger cam rotated counter clockwise? I've been staring at this for 2 days terrified of bending a valve or something.. any advice would be greatly appreciated!