Need transmission advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, need some advice. Was driving home Sunday on Hwy. Kept getting some rpm fluctuations around 2200. I slowed down and took out of OD. Truck ran perfect. 10 minutes later I put OD back on and it was fine. Stopped for gas. Went to pull onto road and rpms just revved up, no drive. Let off gas and engine died. Switched to neutral and engine started right back up. Put in drive and it started going. About half mile later, did the same thing. Started right back up, but this time I had no drive. Pulled off the road and stopped. Ran through all gears and I have nothing. Switch to 4wd and nothing.
It just revs like it is in neutral. Never made any noises. When I shift between reverse and drive, it sounds like it is changing gears, but no movement.

Towed it home. Checked codes and only one was the P0740 code, for TCC lockup. That code has been there for last 65k miles. Drained fluid and it was perfect. No discoloration, no smell of burnt fluid in both tranny and transfer case. Dropped pan and there is no metal and just normal amount of clutch sludge on magnet.

Had anyone seen this before? Is tranny toast or is this another problem? Can't afford a new transmission, so my only option is a used one. Just wanted to get opinions before pulling the transmission.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When mine went it was making a thud out of overdrive into 4th gear, got a code for 4th gear incorrect ratio. Ran it for a while and finally one day it went to shift out of 2nd gear into 3rd and it just revved up, never grabbed the next gear. Drove it home in 2nd gear, checked fluid and it was brand new looking and no smell. Looked up the trouble shooting and there’s about 25 possibilities from seals, to gears, to clutch packs so I just decided to put a new one in. After the old one was out we pulled the pan and no metal either. Not sure what caused it to go. But it runs great now lol