New to dodge.....then this on the first day...smh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sean.welding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 auto
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 02/02 dodge ram 1500 rwd with the 4.7l gas motor. Guess what? The guy screwed me and said "no he didn't know there were transmission problems"........hooray!! [emoji24]
So I'm in a bad spot now. Truck shifts erratically from 1st and second. 3 4 and 5 seem fine. Drags a little on takeoff from a stop then downshifts to first and takes off. Also noticed a rumble while at a stop at red lights and a high pitched squeal between shifts at high rpm's.

I sold my other truck, another truck got stolen in December and insurance is dicking me around about it.....so.... middle of nowhere, got 4 jobs going on, really don't have the scratch for a new trans. So I dug into it to replace the gov solenoid and the other one down there you're supposed to replace. Also the filter. Then when I was going to put the trans pan back on I noticed this!! Looks like a broken band and some other piece. Any suggestions? Fearing a rebuild. I'm in between Austin and killeen, Texas.6d7c9f2ea3adcbae04b300f303cbc298.jpg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sean.welding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 auto
Also, no metal shavings in the fluid

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No technical input for you, but worse case scenario, many people have had great luck throwing auto salvage yard transmissions in. Usually can be had for a few hundred. Hopefully you get this squared away!

OP
OP
S

sean.welding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 auto
Yeah I'm pretty desperate. It kills me to think this guy lied right to my face about there being nothing wrong with the truck. Guy had a family. Seemed nice.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you try a wrecking yard unit, A friend of mine gets most of his parts out of the yards, he says on transmissions, look for one that appears cleaner than the rest of the underbody. Probably a recent rebuild.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a band anchor. Not a huge deal as long as the band isn't smoked. I see Dodge Rams drop them all the time, regardless of year or engine.

OP
OP
S

sean.welding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 auto
That's a band anchor. Not a huge deal as long as the band isn't smoked. I see Dodge Rams drop them all the time, regardless of year or engine.
You think its possible I won't need a full rebuild if that's the case? Which band anchor is it? Sry for my lack of knowledge. Its really putting me in a super tight spot.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You think its possible I won't need a full rebuild if that's the case? Which band anchor is it? Sry for my lack of knowledge. Its really putting me in a super tight spot.

The other little chunk would be my worry, more than the band anchor. I'm on my phone at the moment and not in front of the computer to look it up, but if my memory serves correct.... And take that with a grain of salt... I think since you're having a 1-2 shift problem, that's the front band. The bands are supposed to be adjusted periodically by the service manual, but no one ever does it. They get loose and release. Luckily Dodge switched the design on later transmissions.

You have to drop the valve body to put it back on and I believe it would take a good 1/2 day work for someone who is mechanically inclined. I think there's directions floating around the internet that can be found. I'd help you more if I were at a computer and not on my phone....lol

OP
OP
S

sean.welding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 auto
The other little chunk would be my worry, more than the band anchor. I'm on my phone at the moment and not in front of the computer to look it up, but if my memory serves correct.... And take that with a grain of salt... I think since you're having a 1-2 shift problem, that's the front band. The bands are supposed to be adjusted periodically by the service manual, but no one ever does it. They get loose and release. Luckily Dodge switched the design on later transmissions.

You have to drop the valve body to put it back on and I believe it would take a good 1/2 day work for someone who is mechanically inclined. I think there's directions floating around the internet that can be found. I'd help you more if I were at a computer and not on my phone....lol
Ok yeah I assumed it as the front one. LOL I've already dropped the valve body, well almost. I'm having a problem getting the shift lever linkage removed so that the body will drop. I've looked it up and there are a bunch of instructions to remove the E clip from the parking lot or something. Well I got that equipped removed I think. Still won't come off. By the way thanks for your input on this it's actually put my mind a little more at ease.