New guy with questions. 260 cam, 6.1 stuff upgraded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapozer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First post and I will try to start off with a good one. I have a 04 QC that i recently blew up 2 pistons due to detonation, number 7 and number 3. I did a complete rebuild of the motor with new pistons, new heads with 6.1 exhaust springs, 6.1 pushrods, new timing, oil pump and a comp 260 cam. I am all in on running 91 octane and am running the SC performance tune or 91 tune. Truck has been running good ( not sure I gained a ton of new HP yet) but happy.

Here is the issue. The truck will start and idle fine 90% of the time. Never had a issue with cold start (overnight) or with a quick re start (ie running into 7-11 for a drink and back) However if truck sits for 10-20 minutes and you try to restart it almost kicks over than just cranks away. can try to crank a second time and continues to crank until you give it 1/4-1/2 throttle. Also note that the idles is random at this time but settles back down within a few seconds after starting. Ideas?
Thanks
Shawn

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you reset the PCM? Besides that, a custom tune would get so much more out your upgrades.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Could be a tooth off on the cam gear. The 260 is not to big to where the pcm could try to compensate and work 90% of the time. Any error codes?

OP
OP
D

dapozer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No error codes or lights on at all. The timing could be off but it was lined up with the black links and the dots on the pulleys, double check it. I am hearing about custom tunes, where and who do I go to to make this happen. I am guessing my SC is not exactly what I need. I might try to reset the PCM today.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
There are a few guys doing the tuning, for your truck you can either do a Diablo like me or what I used to have which was SCT. Diablo will have canned tunes along with the ability to do alot more, the SCT will have to have files sent to it and you will only use it to load the file.

Intune
DiabloSport InTune Programmer Dodge/Chrysler Gas Vehicles

Trinity (if you have the extra $$ its the way to go for all it can do)
DiabloSport Trinity Tuner

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No error codes or lights on at all. The timing could be off but it was lined up with the black links and the dots on the pulleys, double check it. I am hearing about custom tunes, where and who do I go to to make this happen. I am guessing my SC is not exactly what I need. I might try to reset the PCM today.

For an 04 keep the sc for the trans tuning then buy a custom engine tune by Sean for the SCT and stack it on top of the sc. It will give you the best control over trans and engine available for an 04.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
There is some trickery that can also be used to experiment with a little. This is mostly used on 03's but will still work on a 04 with a relatively small cam. SC 91 canned tune, using 93 octane, Split Second "Cam Tamer", 180 stat and a power wire. The tuner, stat and power wire will add timing at idle which helps stabilize the idle and the Cam Tamer will pull a little fuel to finish the job. I would also install a trans line pressure booster as manipulating the MAP will alter the TCM engine load inputs. Good luck.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running this cam same yr with just superchips an the truck ran like complete **** would not hold an idle for the first 30 mins an then was ok has only died twice then(almost 7 months) I'd really like too get a custom tune if the financials allow. After I get to the exhaust work an a couple other things

OP
OP
D

dapozer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, looks like a new tune will be in order in the future. Gotta let the check book come u for air after the Hemi rebuild. :D Redtruck you have me thinking I need to do a lot more reading. :signs8:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Could be a tooth off on the cam gear. The 260 is not to big to where the pcm could try to compensate and work 90% of the time. Any error codes?

I could by it being a tooth off.

OP - Do you have any way of monitoring our data logging the engine?

OP
OP
D

dapozer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No real data logging, I have a Superchips programmer and I have a pro scan 2 that I can see some info in real numbers but nothing real tech. Yesterday it started every time, prob 12-15 starts and started every time. Just kinda random.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
temperature outside the same as the days when it wasn't? cooler? hotter?