New, happy owner of a 180 T-stat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hey guys, had some problems overheating about a week and a half ago. Was helping my buddy haul two Chevy 350 engines in the back of my truck, each weighing about 550 lbs. Got stuck in traffic for about 45 mins with the a/c on, and I had to pull over and let my truck cool off cause my temp guage almost maxed out. This a normal problem Ram owners have? They temp here in arkansas is a normal 95-105 in the summer. It was a 97 degree day when it almost overheated. Anyway, changed the water pump about 6 months ago, so I knew that was fine. Bought the 180 T-stat from MOE's a couple days ago and it arrived so I installed it today, then went for a drive around through the city for about 30 mins with the A/C cranked up full, and my temp never even made it to the halfway mark. SHIBBY! Problem fixed I guess! Checked my old t-stat in a pot of boiling water and it seems to work fine, so oh well whatever. Im happy now! Oh, also replaced the header gaskets and she runs like a dream now! Still waitng on my stage 8 locking header bolts though...

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
all you are doing is tricking the engine , its thinking its running cooler ... i would watch it IMO

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
How am I tricking it? The coolant temp stayed around 185-195 when I was driving around. That was the actualy temp! How is that trickin the computer/engine? It actually IS running cooler.

Plus, engines wear out faster from too much heat. Pistons/rods you can actually see that overheat damage. So what is the problem running a little cooler? Maybe a little less efficient, little more rich, but thats no big deal, I can tune that out, and its much better than being lean, or having to turn the truck off because it's overheating.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Most engine's run at 180 degrees, don't sweat it. why dodge put,s a 210 thermostat is beyond me.It may cutdown on sludge which would kill the mds imo.but who knows. too cool and you will get sludge.thats a fact.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
im just messin with ya LMOA .... GOT YA

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Couldn't you just change the viscosity/weight of the motor oil? As i 5w/10w/20w? Wouldn't that end any sludge problem? A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow?

How stuff works:

Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature. How the polymers work:
  • At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Lmao its good for ya .. Sorry bro ..still funny

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You are going to love the locking header bolts. I have never tighten my headers since I had then installed.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Couldn't you just change the viscosity/weight of the motor oil? As i 5w/10w/20w? Wouldn't that end any sludge problem? A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow?

How stuff works:

Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature. How the polymers work:
  • At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.

aparantly, they wanted too make sure no sludge would form, with the lower viscosity oils and the hotter running motor. I dunno. kinda wierd, The hotter motor anyway.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Let us know hot those stage 8s go on.. I have seen a few seta and helped with one and the clips had to be modified to fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45