New oil pressure sensor causes no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greatdane66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bottom line issue is that my 07 5.7 Ram runs perfectly fine, but has thrown the P0524 low oil pressure code on multiple occasions. I swap in a new sensor, and the engine will crank but not start. If I let it crank for more then 10 seconds, it will turn over, run horribly, and throw a bunch of other codes like the Crankshaft position sensor malfunction, throttle position sensor malfunction, ECM error codes.

If I put the old sensor back in, my truck will fire up and run as normal. I thought I got a defective part from BDS so I swapped and tried again and had the exact same issue. Tried a third time with a sensor from Echlin and again, same scenario. I'm back to the original sensor and everything is fine. Any ideas/suggestions?

A little more background is that this only happens at altitude. I moved from Florida where I never had an issue, to Denver, where I started getting the P0524 code (the truck never shut itself down, I only got the CEL). I re-installed the old sensor, moved back to Florida for 6 months and had ZERO issues. I recently moved again, from Florida Utah, been here for less than a week, and on 4 occasions I've got the "CHECK GAUGES" light, oil pressure gauge drops to zero, and the truck shuts down (but no CEL). I'm going to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge tomorrow so I have some faith in the gauges again, but obviously I've got oil pressure that's been good enough for me to drive the last 10,000 miles.

At a loss here - anything helps.

OP
OP
G

Greatdane66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update - installed A mechanical oil pressure gauge today and it everything is normal. 25psi at warm idle and between 40-50 psi under normal driving conditions. The next thing I would swap would be the oil pump and screen, but I still have no effing clue why a new sensor will read zero and prevent the engine from starting.

Ideas?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Maybe you've got a bad ground and its being affected by the lower humidity?? I believe the oil sending unit shares a circuit/ground with the throttle body and I've read where you can have a voltage drop with a bad sending unit can causing the engine to not run properly. I'd inspect the wiring and grounds.

OP
OP
G

Greatdane66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll check it out. After driving it for a few days with the mechanical gauge, the oil pressure has dropped to zero on two occasions - either when coming to a stop or throwing it in reverse to park. So I know it's not purely an electrical glitch with the stock gauges. I'll keep updating until it's fixed. Problem is that most of my tools are still 3,000 miles away.

OP
OP
G

Greatdane66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update, I think you're more right than I am Ronjon. I'm going away from this being an oil issue to an electrical issue. I cleaned up all of the grounds in the engine bay yesterday and also reset the pcm, and the truck fires up and runs cleaner than it has since I moved to altitude.

My first runs around town have been successful, but I've been lucky before for a short time with this issue, so I'll wait to say that this is fixed. I'll update again in a few days.

OP
OP
G

Greatdane66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, the mechanical gauge falling to zero is only because the engine shuts down when the stock gauge/pcm senses an issue. So that's the reason for the 180.

OP
OP
G

Greatdane66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fail. Truck is stalling again and the truck still won't take a new oil pressure sensor. Does anyone have ideas?

Tomslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 07 that did the exact same thing. I replaced the sensor with a new one and no start. Towed it to dealer and they replaced it with their own and it started. I was very upset! It cost me $250. There must be some trick that the dealer does or resets something. I hate my Dodge!!! It is the worst vehicle I have ever owned! It is so ridiculously unreliable!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 07 that did the exact same thing. I replaced the sensor with a new one and no start. Towed it to dealer and they replaced it with their own and it started. I was very upset! It cost me $250. There must be some trick that the dealer does or resets something. I hate my Dodge!!! It is the worst vehicle I have ever owned! It is so ridiculously unreliable!

Strange, my Dodge has been one of the best trucks I've ever owned lol. If you bought it used, the problem is more with how the previous owner maintained it, than the truck itself.

Anyway, you beat me to it. Greatdane you are probably using a sensor from auto zone or something. 06 and up trucks are known to be extremely sensitive when it comes to electrical components. Get an oem sensor from the dealer and try it.