New thermostat.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2004 Ram 1500 with hemi. I just replaced the thermostat and let the engine fully warm to operating temp. The heat was on high through the warming process. The problem is I have no heat. The hoses are hot as usual. Could the new thermostat be bad? Please advise. My Chilton manual was no help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you let it come to temp with the cap off the rad to help push out any air? Did you squeeze and burp the hoses by hand? You had heat before?

Most notably...where is your temp gauge at?

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you let it come to temp with the cap off the rad to help push out any air? Did you squeeze and burp the hoses by hand? You had heat before?
I had heat before yes. I put the rad cap back on to see if the thermostat housing would leak again. I would fill the radiator, then squeeze upper rad hose while filling radiator. You think air may be in the system?

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had heat before yes. I put the rad cap back on to see if the thermostat housing would leak again. I would fill the radiator, then squeeze upper rad hose while filling radiator. You think air may be in the system?

Yup. Start it up and let it run without the cap on for a bit, and pretty aggressively squeeze the upper AND lower hose.

Make sure your overflow jug is full to the line.

After maybe 5 or so min, take it for a short drive. Like 5 mins.

You'd be surprised how much air it'll push out.

NoT impossible to get a bad t stat. But I just did mine, and even doing what I mentioned above, it still probably took a half gallon in the overflow after a few drives. All good now.

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Engine is running, coolant was coming out of radiator. Stopped now

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the overflow level as mentioned. Take a spin around the block(with cap on)....it'll push air for a few temp cycles through the overflow tank. Just keep topping it off. Should probably have heat after that. If you lower hose is getting hot....the t-stat is functioning

Tomorrow before driving it, you can top radiator off if needed too. Speed up the pushing air process

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check the overflow level as mentioned. Take a spin around the block(with cap on)....it'll push air for a few temp cycles through the overflow tank. Just keep topping it off. Should probably have heat after that. If you lower hose is getting hot....the t-stat is functioning

Tomorrow before driving it, you can top radiator off if needed too. Speed up the pushing air process
All is well now. What you said to do worked. Went for a drive and no heating issue. Thank you very much for your assistance. Tomorrow I will check the radiator. My reservoir is full.