No engine light runs like crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gcammack327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2005 1500 hemi. Hard to keep 70mpg without down shifting, much slower than normal. I had to hit the brakes really hard one day and my truck never seemed the same, had a p0300 code and replaced all spark plugs and coils then a p0404 code and replaced two egrs. Checked my brakes for them being locked up and they work fine.

OP
OP
G

Gcammack327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will let y'all know, I'm thinking something with the engine since it is slower across all gears.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
You said run like crap and then no engine codes then you said po300 which multiple miss fire and po404 and EGR valve.Is the truck skipping or what? I cannot understand hitting the brakes could screw up the running but anything is possible ? I would really have a good scan tool that can look deep inside your computer and go from there that will keep you from breaking the bank replacing sensors and such.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Possibly a plugged cat. I'd bet your misfiring was the result of too much exhaust in the cylinders. Your 404 indicates that your EGR was indeed (probably) bad but a plugged cat could be adding to the problem.

Here's what you can do, and I've done this before to successfully identify a plugged catalytic converter. Start the engine and let it warm up to full operating temperature. Go for a short drive if you want to speed things up. Afterwards, put the tranny in neutral (make sure you're on flat ground!) and try revving the engine past 3,000 RPM. If it easily revs north of that, I'd be tempted to cross a plugged cat off the list. If the engine "hits a wall" at or before 3,000 RPM and will not rev past that even with more throttle, a plugged cat is almost certainly your problem.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
You Go Yeret you the man.