NOS to hot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thesmoother

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 sxt
Engine
i bought a set of turbos for my 08 4.7 TRX but decided to wait til i have time to pull the motor and swap in some boost friendly parts. So i want a little fun til then and wanting to put a 100-125hp shot of NOS. Ive never used it before, i always used turbos and concerned about the bottle overheating, being its already under huge psi!!
ill mount it in the bed under the hard cover with a heat wrap for winter months and remote unit that turns the bottle vale on/off.
im just thinking this is an everyday driver, will the nitrous be ok during hot summer days sitting in the 105 degree sun while im working? if i have to remove it all the time that would kill the fun, never know when the mood hits to do a little run on a good stretch of road. anyone have any in site on this?

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 58
  • I1111MG_1610.jpg
    I1111MG_1610.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 62

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having ran nitrous on a drag car, I can assure you that sitting in a truck bed is no worst than an electric or oven (yes oven) type bottle heater. How is this any different than sitting in the trunk of a car? Nitrous bottles are regularly heated to increase bottle pressure.

As far as strengthening a 4.7 for your future power adder...good luck. About zero after market support for the modular 4.7. You'd be further ahead to put a hemi in it.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Try out Airram.com I beleive they may be a site supporter they cater to us with he 3.7 and 4.7 guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
thesmoother

thesmoother

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 sxt
Engine
i plan to go the hemi route but the 4.7 only has 80k miles, didnt want to pull it yet. i'm a turbo guy i know very little about NO2. i jst kept thinking my girlfriend shopping at on a hot southern day and "boom" lol. thanks for the input. thought nitrous would be quicker and id save the turbos for the hemi.
right now im concentrating on cosmetics, ive sourced most srt-10 body panels and some viper seats. it will take me some time to finish it all by then it will be time to start the motor swap. to me the fun part is the build, i usually sell when im done but i really like this truck, might have to hang on.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At least you got the 08+ 4.7 that ones rated at like 305-310 hp compared to the later yrs at 235

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nitrous bottles from the factory all have a pressure relief valve, so if you don't modify it, there's a burst disk built into the bottle which will pop if the pressure gets too high.

I run 2 stages of nitrous in my drag car, which equates to about a 350hp kit. If you have any specific questions, let me know, I've pretty much done everything wrong along the way to figure out the right way to use it.......lol

My biggest advice is don't think you're going to buy a simple kit, bolt it on and be done with it. There's a lot to running nitrous to make sure it's safe for your engine and you don't melt a piston. Nitrous can be just as safe as turbos or superchargers, but it's going to cost you a lot more than just a kit.

Black06ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Nitrous bottles from the factory all have a pressure relief valve, so if you don't modify it, there's a burst disk built into the bottle which will pop if the pressure gets too high.

I run 2 stages of nitrous in my drag car, which equates to about a 350hp kit. If you have any specific questions, let me know, I've pretty much done everything wrong along the way to figure out the right way to use it.......lol

My biggest advice is don't think you're going to buy a simple kit, bolt it on and be done with it. There's a lot to running nitrous to make sure it's safe for your engine and you don't melt a piston. Nitrous can be just as safe as turbos or superchargers, but it's going to cost you a lot more than just a kit.

He is correct. All the bottles have a burst-disc at the top of the bottle which will release pressure inside should the pressure get too extreme (usually due to heat building up in the bottle). If the bottle is mounted inside the cabin of the car, track rules require a simple blow down tube (included in most nitrous kits) that should the burst-disc open up, it flows nitrous gas down this tube and out the bottom of the car.. as opposed to venting the nitrous into the interior cabin of the car . it is RARE that these bottles blow up and from a bit of research I did years ago, usually when they blow its installer/user error.. overfilling, or people REMOVE the burst-disc for some crazy dumb reason.

I run a 150 wet shot on my camaro, but have yet to have a bottle heater. I will be purchasing one this winter to keep bottle pressures more consistent (very important). you will also need to retard your timing via a tuner or a ignition control box. a good rule of thumb is to retard the timing 2deg for every 50hp shot you are spraying. I use a MSD Digital6 box. Also get a purge kit. consider a wet setup versus a dry setup. also think into fuel pressure safety switch, and if you have a nearby place to fill up the bottle at a good price...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel