octane - tune - ethanol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopsieze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
I just got my aunt's 04 1500 with 5.7. It's bone stock with 190,000 and always been serviced by the dealer, seems to run strong. It had an exhaust manifold leak which I just fixed. She got 15-16 mpg driving all highway and said she always used 87 w/ethanol. Read it's tuned for 89... I never use ethanol and could mix 87 and 91 as no 89 is available w/o ethanol.

but...

Is there a tune for 87 or 91 that would help with mpg? Should I just reset the PCM and try a couple tanks of 87 then test with 91 and see what it does?

I usually get the manufacture numbers or better but not in this thing.

Is it just a guzzler?

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just got my aunt's 04 1500 with 5.7. It's bone stock with 190,000 and always been serviced by the dealer, seems to run strong. It had an exhaust manifold leak which I just fixed. She got 15-16 mpg driving all highway and said she always used 87 w/ethanol. Read it's tuned for 89... I never use ethanol and could mix 87 and 91 as no 89 is available w/o ethanol.

but...

Is there a tune for 87 or 91 that would help with mpg? Should I just reset the PCM and try a couple tanks of 87 then test with 91 and see what it does?

I usually get the manufacture numbers or better but not in this thing.

Is it just a guzzler?

Depends on how heavy your foot is. What are you getting right now?

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
Depends on how heavy your foot is. What are you getting right now?
I have a very light foot and try to utilize the weight of the truck to coast to stops etc. Getting just under 15 with 65% highway.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Really there isn't much you can do here in Georgia we have 87-89-91 and some stations have 87-89-93 octane.Most cars and trucks will run on 87 as well as 91 octane the computer will compensate for less octane.There is some stations around here you can get gas without ethynol but it is a lot higher.Look up the fuel mileage for the year that truck was made and it will tell you what you want to hear.Also is that truck a 4 wheel drive you not going to get real high mileage you can ask ask anyone.I have own a butt load of Dodge AKA Ram trucks they aren't known for fantastic gas mileage they are known to be tough and be able to pull like heck.

Last edited: