OEM Exhaust replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caps

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Thunder Road
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So on Sunday I'll be picking up my truck (06 1500, hemi, 4x4) and currently all it has is OEM headers and the Y pipe. I'm going to take it down to the local muffler shop and have them put something on it and I was hoping for recommendations that most muffler shops would have in stock. Because when they give me options I'll have no idea what I want.

I don't want to be too much louder than stock, but I want it to rumble. I have no problem being louder but I don't want to be obnoxious when my wife and I take friends to a nice dinner.

Any ideas? What muffler what size piping? General layout of the exhaust system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

caps

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Thunder Road
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of my buddies said to have them take the Y pipe off and run a true H pipe setup. Opinions?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
One of my buddies said to have them take the Y pipe off and run a true H pipe setup. Opinions?

H pipes tend to rumble more than x pipes, but idk how it'll compare to a y pipe

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say stick with stock configuration but lose the resonators. 3" pipe is what comes stock on these trucks. Watch some YouTube videos of different brand mufflers. Flowmaster, magnaflow, etc. From what I've read, true dual exhaust isn't good on hemi engines. Stock design is good, but needs to be a bit more free flow.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
stick with a big body muffler like magnaflow's 5 x 11 x 22... louder mufflers may sound good but when your hemi's mds kicks in, it will sound like a boat. Plus, with smaller bodies, interior resonance (drone) will become unbearable over time..

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do any exhaust work make sure you get rid of the stock y pipe. That's a big choke point.

OP
OP
C

caps

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Thunder Road
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a bit more time, as I decided not to do it that day. I think I'm going to go true H pipe with large body mufflers.

danhorntx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do a Magnaflow muffler and y pipe. It will give you a nice sound without being loud or obnoxious, and supposedly it has more flow than Flowmaster do. Also leave your resonators in, they are straight through and there's no performance gain for removing them, it'll just make more noise in the cabin.

This is the setup I've got, and it sounds good when I get into it, and doesn't bother me when I'm just driving or cruising down the highway (even with MDS).

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
What are you talking about?

Most muffler shops use aluminized pipe (witch will rust fast especially up north), the factory systems are stainless, a low grade stainless. If your not into performance and just want a rumble here is my suggestion. I would pick up a Magnaflow, mbrp, or jones muffler(14-18 case length) get it in a stainless version 409 ss is perfect, then order a peice on 3in ss pipe and take that to the muffler shop and let them put it in and order a exhaust tip of your choosing and put that on. I have ran many systems on my rams includeing a true dual h pipe setup and I'm most happy with the set up I have now and that is mbrp muffler swap and I still have the factory reaonator It really keeps mds in check.

OP
OP
C

caps

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Thunder Road
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do a Magnaflow muffler and y pipe. It will give you a nice sound without being loud or obnoxious, and supposedly it has more flow than Flowmaster do. Also leave your resonators in, they are straight through and there's no performance gain for removing them, it'll just make more noise in the cabin.

This is the setup I've got, and it sounds good when I get into it, and doesn't bother me when I'm just driving or cruising down the highway (even with MDS).

Where is the resonator located on these trucks?

Most muffler shops use aluminized pipe (witch will rust fast especially up north), the factory systems are stainless, a low grade stainless. If your not into performance and just want a rumble here is my suggestion. I would pick up a Magnaflow, mbrp, or jones muffler(14-18 case length) get it in a stainless version 409 ss is perfect, then order a peice on 3in ss pipe and take that to the muffler shop and let them put it in and order a exhaust tip of your choosing and put that on. I have ran many systems on my rams includeing a true dual h pipe setup and I'm most happy with the set up I have now and that is mbrp muffler swap and I still have the factory reaonator It really keeps mds in check.

Ah, that makes sense. I've been considering buying a premade exhaust as well.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The reaonator is just behind the rear tire. My truck is a 4th gen with dual and I left both the factory resonators on and just replaced my muffler with a mbrp and its plenty loud it's a 13 or 14 in case I don't remember witch but mds is only annoying at 50mph above that you can't hardly hear it in the cab. Once you jump on it you know it's there.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Does the 07's have resonators?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I say add any muffler you like and let it eat.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Does the 07's have resonators?

I'm pretty sure they do my 06 had one it looks a lot like a small muffler. My buddy's 08 had aftermarket exhaust when he got it so I can't comment on that but I could of swore all hemi's had a resonator. I know 05 and 06 had them for sure.

Here is a pic of where it should be they are tucked up under the truck pretty good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 43

philva13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2008 4x4 QC has 1 with my stock exhaust