Which oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not time yet, but when it is what oil is best for my truck? 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7l hemi with 148k miles.. Do not know what was previously ran in this truck, but i want to do it myself and have no idea which is good or whatever. Regular or synthetic? Any help would be awesome.

02 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 NSRT-4
Engine
2.4L Turbo
You will get many opinions as to which oil to run. I like mobile1. You can go to walmart and buy mobile1 full synthetic for like 30 bucks a jug. I have the 4.7 so not sure how many quarts the HEMI takes (7?) but a jug for 30 and a couple quarts and an oil filter and your good to go

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Learn about grouping of oils. Group 2 is biological oil from the ground, or the cheap stuff. Group 3 is filtered oil from ground, for lack of a better term, this is your Mobil 1. Group 4 is PAO's or chemically engineered oil, the use of chemicals to isolate the best part of an oil, and finally group 5 oil which has no oil at all but is a reaction between alcohol and acid. There is little doubt that group 4 or 5 has the best lubrication properties, but there is some doubt which is the best between the 2.

See my signature for more information, oil choice is usually about pairing what someone is comfortable paying for oil. Group 4 or 5 pays for itself because you can extend the time you need to change your oil somewhere between 15 or 25k miles, it is worth the extra money you pay up front. Recently I posted an 100k mile oil chnage with someone using group 5 oil, he did have to keep changing the filter and then topping off, but he never emptied the base oil from his truck. If you choose a group 4 or 5 oil, you need to buy a synthetic filter too. Mobil 1 is fine oil too, you can't go wrong with either buying the best possible super oil or mass marketed great oils like Mobil 1 or penzoil Ultra.

E roc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What group would royal purple be in, was thinking about trying it