Oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfoshaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexifuel
Hi guys,

Im new to the forum. Just picked up a 2007 RAM 1500 4x4 4.7 Flexifuel, and I want to change the engine oil.

My owner manual says to use 5W30, and the filler cap says 5W20.

Is it okay to use any synthetic 5W30 as long as it follows the API standards for this engine? Which i believe is PSA B71 2290, ACEA C2 & API SN/CF ?

Thank you in advance,

- Lars

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not a hemi. I don't believe it has MDS. 5w-30 would be fine either way.

OP
OP
L

lfoshaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexifuel
Thanks.

How often do you recommend me changing the engine oil?

What about rear / front diff and transmission? The maintenance schedule "B" in the owners manual is quite different from the "A" schedule.

I will not tow anything with the car, only using it to transport a snowmobile/atv on the bed, in temps ranging from +20c to -30c.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you just got it, I would recommend you change all the fluids so you know it is done. Then follow the appropriate schedules in the manual.

OP
OP
L

lfoshaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexifuel
Ok,

What kind of oil do you recommend for the front and rear diff? And how much is needed for each diff?

I believe the manual says 75W90 for the front, and 75W140 for the rear+ limited slip additive? Does it hurt anything if i put a oil with the limited slip additive in the diff, if its not a limitied slip diff?

When i look it up on the amsoil website it says 75W90 for both diffs.

What do you recommend?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I just wanna do it right and dont hurt anything.

Thanks

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't done my diff fluids yet, but my experience from my jeep and other vehicles I would expect about 1 to 11/2 quarts per axle.

Depending how you use your 4WD, 90 up front and 140 in rear is normal. If you use the 4WD alot you may want to put the thicker oil up front too.

I don't think friction modifier will hurt an open diff, but why bother if you don't need it. Determine if you have an LSD and buy fluids accordingly.

As far as recommending a particular brand of fluid, you will get a million different opinions on here. My opinion is to use a quality Synth for diff's, and there are many. It doesn't get changed too often, so Synth will hold up for the long haul in that application better IMO.

OP
OP
L

lfoshaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexifuel
Is it the same procedure for changing the front diff fluid, as the write up in the DIY section for the rear?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Check out my post on gear fluid here. I would use 5w30 if I could, much better at protecting that engine then 5w20. It is probably less important for you to run a top shelf oil then guys running the hemi. We have to use 20 weight so the oil with the best film strength is most important, but with 5w30 you are solid.

Last edited:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Seeing as you just got the truck and you do not know the history completely change the oil every 3k miles for the first few oil changes checking the oil too see how dirty it is and smelling it to see if it smells burnt. At 3k miles it should not be too brown, should not smell burnt, and should not be any gritty feel in it. If it meets those 3 then you can go to a 5k oil change schedule.

OP
OP
L

lfoshaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexifuel
The truck only has 23000 miles on it. I will do a 3000 miles oil change the first times like you recommend.

Thanks guys, and by the way - i rode it 1100 miles last weekend when i picked it up, and I love it :)

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would just make sure you use synthetic in those axles it makes a huge difference in drivability. I personally would use synthetic in engine too and if you can find it use 0W-30 best protection there is.

$miley