Oil leak around oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rmack57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. I have 145k on this truck and have always came up a quart low when I hit around 2k on my 3k oil change. I stick to conventional and just recently went to castrol, i noticed here in my last change my oil filter was covered in oil and top of filter around mating surface and in crevasse of on top of oil filter. The sensors that are above it do not look like they are leaking. My truck is garage kept and I've never noticed and oil leak on my garage floor or anywhere else I park. I've noticed my tie rod has oil on it to. I knew this truck was probably burning some but to find it like this on my filter does concern me. I typically use purolator or mopar oem. This most recent oil change I used a mopar filter. Note his truck is stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you do the oil change yourself?

If so, did you rub oil on the gasket on the oil filter? If not, it can get pinched and allow oil to leak.

OP
OP
R

Rmack57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I do oil change myself and apply oil to gasket. Was taught that. I maybe over tightening but I tighten with hand strength no tools.

OP
OP
R

Rmack57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed on my last oil change with a purolator oil filter that the gasket came off and I've never seen a filter gasket come off with no force applied to taking it off.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would try a new filter then. I've never seen one come off either. Plus filters are easy to change and cheap. I got a mopar oil filter from Wal-Mart for $6 4 days ago.

OP
OP
R

Rmack57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I would use on and off is a mopar or purolator. I'm hoping this isn't coming from timing chain cover. I noticed when I did my water pump about a month ago their was oil on bottom side of timing chain gasket but that was below the oil filter so it had to of came from oil filter or possibly a leak higher up and the filter is just catching oil from leak above.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah I would replace the oil filter and wipe everything down and see if any oil comes back

OP
OP
R

Rmack57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'm coming up on an oil change so will see. I'm sure it will re occur. Probably will end up being a timing chain cover.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well just fyi. If your braking and your oil pressure drops your oil is way to low .

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you said that you did your own oil change but my first look would be at the Mopar oil filter, especially if you got it at Walmart. There has long been speculation that even name brand mdse at Walmart is not necessarily 1st line of that name brand. Of course there is no evidence of this one way or the other. I had my oil changed at the dealer on my journey and the next oil change I did myself. On the dealer oil change it was evident that the oil filter had been seeping, not enough to leave oil spots on the ground but deffinatley a little trail behind the filter. The filter seemed to be tight enough when I took it off but I had never had any oil seepage before or after that.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My comment wasn't only for Rmak57 it was just a general comment. He had me confused which filter was leaking as he stated that he used both. Some swear that OEM filters are the only way to go, personally I won't us an OEM filter unless that filter has a silicone anti drain back valve. The last time I had a gasket come off when removing a filter was with a fram tough guard. Didn't like that filter anyway because it felt real sloppy on the threads when installing. Some hold the frame ultra in high regard and I've been thinking about trying one but have a hard time getting past my last experience with fram.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok thanks for the info. I'll be sure to keep an eye on mine just to be safe. Plus to be honest I though $6 was cheap for anything branded MOPAR. Hell 2 rubber gromets cost $15 from them.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I had a gasket come off a Fram filter once but I didn't realize it and installed the new filter over the old gasket. It leaked so bad it left a trail down the driveway and on the street for half a block lol.

OP
OP
R

Rmack57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I will do research and change up filters. I did checking today and no oil trail from timing chain

OP
OP
R

Rmack57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pictures

I added pictures from what I could gather this afternoon. No signs of leaks from timing chain just that filter area.

OP
OP
R

Rmack57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw a cut out of gram and will not and refuse to use it. I used them 3-4 times on my Dakota I had for 4 years and after that I used mopar or purolator but now I think purolator had gotten cheap because the past two purolatora I have noticed oil on filters. Possibly has been doing this longer than I think. Something I've just now noticed. It's hard to determine a leak like this when you end up spilling oil in that area when removing filter.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
I have seen what is called double sealed when the seal is still stuck to block where the filter goes and people not cleaning where the filter goes and dirt gets behind the gasket causing it to leak.Over tightening and under tightening the filter some people they have to tighten the filter so tight with the filter wrinch you have heck getting the filter off .You should be able to tighten it back on back on by hand until it is tight not over tightening with a filter wrench.Some of y'all may not know this but there is a die you can pour into your engine it can help you find leaks with a black light mechanics use it all the time and it doesn't hurt the oil you can get it at NAPA auto parts.

Ranhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 1500
Wondering what you found out regarding your small leak?! My service manager at dealership told me that they are notorious for filter loosening!! When I checked mine after noticing maybe 10 15 drops in same spot in garage, below filter, I was able to undo oil filter by hand. It was not tight. I tightend with filter wrench a bit. Has anyone else seen this??