Oil Pressure fluctuations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
2007 Ram 1500 3.7L, code name (RAMONA)
168K miles
Running 5W-30 Mobile 1 full synthetic at 3000 mile intervals since 100K miles.

IMG_3376.JPG

It's been a couple days now that my Oil pressure gauge fluctuates after cold starts. Before it used to rest predominantly about a quarter of the way past halfway point, in both summer and winter. Now, recently it seems like every other day, the gauge will sometimes rest below the halfway point on cold starts. But if I turn the engine over, then turn it off, then turn on again, the gauge rests past the halfway point. Was curious if any other 2007 Ram 1500 3.7 owners had this experience. Could this be a faulty gauge or is this a cause for concern? Possible oil pump repair? Any suggestions welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392
Whenever the oil pressure is above 6 PSI the gauge needle will read in the middle. If the needle would give actual pressure it would be fluctuating all the time, the needle in the middle is done to meet 'customer expectations', see quote below, is taken from the workshop manual.

In your case I would say it's a problem with the oil pressure sender or the gauge. If it was an actual oil pressure problem that causes the gauge to fluctuate that would mean oil pressure would drop below 6 PSI and you'd get a fault code or limp mode.

That said I would use a mechanical oil pressure gauge to check the engine oil pressure just to be sure.

"• Engine Oil Pressure Message - The instrument cluster circuitry restricts the oil pressure gauge needle oper-"
"ation in order to provide readings that are consistent with customer expectations. For all models except"
"SRT10, each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is above about 41 kPa (6 psi) the cluster holds the gauge needle at a point near the middle increment within the normal range on the gauge scale. For SRT10 models, each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM indicating the engine oil pressure is above about 41 kPa (6 psi) the cluster moves the gauge needle in a linear fashion to the proper relative pressure position of the gauge scale."
"• Engine Oil Pressure Low Message - Each time the cluster receives three consecutive bus messages from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is below about 41 kPa (6 psi), the gauge needle is moved to the red graduation (except SRT10) or to the red zone (SRT10) at the far left end of the gauge scale, the check gauges indicator is illuminated, and a single chime tone is generated. The gauge needle remains at the left end of the gauge scale and the check gauges indicator remains illuminated until the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating that the engine oil pressure is above about 41 kPa (6 psi), or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first. The cluster will only turn the check gauges indicator on in response to an engine oil pressure low message if the engine speed message is greater than zero."

Tyrone456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2007 Ram 1500 3.7L, code name (RAMONA)
168K miles
Running 5W-30 Mobile 1 full synthetic at 3000 mile intervals since 100K miles.

View attachment 88984

It's been a couple days now that my Oil pressure gauge fluctuates after cold starts. Before it used to rest predominantly about a quarter of the way past halfway point, in both summer and winter. Now, recently it seems like every other day, the gauge will sometimes rest below the halfway point on cold starts. But if I turn the engine over, then turn it off, then turn on again, the gauge rests past the halfway point. Was curious if any other 2007 Ram 1500 3.7 owners had this experience. Could this be a faulty gauge or is this a cause for concern? Possible oil pump repair? Any suggestions welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the exact same truck year make and model. Mine does the exact same thing. Did you find a fix???