Output Speed Sensor Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04hemidodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So to make a long story short. I had to have a rebuilt motor installed after the original had cylinder 7 fall flat on it's face. Anyways I got my truck back last Friday and on the way home I noticed it was shifting differently. I called the mechanic who installed the motor and he said for me to put 100miles on it and get back to him if the problem continued. Well I had my friend check the codes and it popped up p0700 and p0720. After doing some research many people stated it was just a bad sensor. I replaced the input speed sensor and the output speed sensor. Then reset the ECU. Well it still didn't work and the transmission went back to limp mode. Checked the code again and it's show p0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

My guess... Is that when they installed the rebuilt motor they might have crimped the wiring harness causing output speed sensor to have problems. I never had transmission problems in the past. I'm assuming the guy never drove the truck after the motor was installed and just let it idle. I attempted to check the output sensor connector with a voltage meter and got nothing. I'm going to show up to his shop tomorrow and get him to look at it and make sure they didn't miss anything.

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I should do or say when I get to his shop? I have a feeling he may give a little bit of push since he "only touches the motor." The fact that the truck didn't run when he received it puts me in a bad spot because it's easy for him to say that he doesn't know if the transmission was fine or not before he got the truck.

Transmission will switch to 1st and 2nd (using the shift handle) if the computer is reset but will eventually turn on limp mode removing 1st, 2nd, and 5th/OD.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi

545RFE Automatic Transmission

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
you might want to have a tranny guy hook up their reader and make sure there is good pressure throughout... P700 codes scares the bejesus out of me :)