Overheating 2007 4.7 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexfuel v8
I bought this 1500 5 weeks ago. 73k miles. 3 weeks ago I had my mechanic go over it bumper to bumper. No problems: in fact they were impressed with how well it has been maintained and what a great deal I got. I figure it's a 4x2 quad cab and the dealer had sat on it a long time, because who wants a 4x2 right.

OK, so why am I here today. I've worked on vehicals since before I could legally drive, but I'm old enough to admit I don't know everything, in fact I'm old enough to say I don't know anything... Lmao.

You know when your in a three hour jam up on the interstate, it's 90 degrees and you don't idel you engine out move slowly with your air conditioning because you'll over heat. Well that's my issue that started this morning, but it's driving through town in normal moving traffic.

Prior to I drove 20 miles at highway speed with a couple stop signs. Got into town about 20 minutes and check gage light came on. Water temp gage was at top black line. Turned off air, pulled over let engine run, temp held steady did not climb or hit red line. I watched gage as water exchanged- gage dropped about 1/8. Opened hood, bumbed heal of hand on Top, front exposed top areas of radiator until I could tell I could hold my hand on it and it was barely warm. Drove through town without air, temp continued to drop to 3/4 hot. Stopped 45 minutes for errands, temp at less than 1/2. Drove 15 minutes through town with Air ON. Temp goes back up to top non redline line. Hit highway at 65 mph with Air ON temp drops below 1/2 heat. Drive 20 minutes. Heat only changes enough on gauge to notice water exchanges. Drive through neighborhoods 40-25 mph with Air ON, 7-10 minutes. Gauge goes to to again without redlining.

I've never had this exact problem before. I've had thermostats partially opening, broken part open. It never caused these symptoms.
Read on line that a plugged radiator would have the exact opposite effects. Don't see the water pump causing his. Fan seems to be operating properly.
Sitting in drive, I did get the radiator hot to the touch.
I'm leaning towards a partially functioning thermostat but I need your input. Thank you.

aaronwilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having the exact same problem. Except if I go over 65mph with the AC on the temperature climbs dramatically.

Sucks when it's 100+ outside.

I have changed Heater core, Water pump, Fan clutch, Thermostat and lower/upper radiator hoses. I wish I had done ideas what's going on. I'm about to do an total flush so hopefully that will net some results.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am having the exact same problem. Except if I go over 65mph with the AC on the temperature climbs dramatically.

Sucks when it's 100+ outside.

I have changed Heater core, Water pump, Fan clutch, Thermostat and lower/upper radiator hoses. I wish I had done ideas what's going on. I'm about to do an total flush so hopefully that will net some results.

Did you change the radiator cap?