P0499 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlabuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello, new member here. I have a 2005 ram 2500 5.7. I had a broken exhaust manifold bolt, last bolt on left side. So I decide to pull the head and remove the bolt. Finally got it out. Put everything back together, all new gaskets, and injector o rings. Torqued everything to spec. Now the truck wont start unless you give it half throttle. Barely runs, wont idle, no way near drivable. I am getting code p0499 now. Took the intake back off to make sure the seals stayed in place, all were good. Gas cap is good. Code just showed up after I pulled the head, fixed one problem , create a bigger one. Any ideas?

OP
OP
M

mlabuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Everything appears plugged in, plug wires are how they should be. Reset the computer? I had the battery disconnected for two days, is there something else I need to do to reset it? Thanks for the help.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Is there anything else you did while the head was off? Assuming the injectors are seated correctly, nothing was done to the TB. All the plus for them are back in the correct order along with the coilpacks and wires?

OP
OP
M

mlabuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Plug wires and coil pack wires were all marked before removal. All are back on correctly. I removed the throttle body to make getting the manifold out easier. Wiped it clean with a lint free rag, no solvents used on it. Replaced it with a new seal made sure it was seated on the two locating pins and torqued it to 105 in lbs. Giving up on it, a local shop says 5.7 hemis have a tendency to have carbon in the intake shake loose when you start jostling the intake around once it is off the motor. blocking vacuum ports . causing loss of vacuum. I pulled the hose off the brake booster while another guy kept the engine running, very weak vacuum at the hose and the power brakes feel bad. Maybe the local guy is on to something, he says he has heard that is somewhat common after removing the intake. Anyhoo he agreed to look at it. If it turns out to be the problem I will post an update here so maybe someone else can benefit from my problem. Thank you all .

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
How about your ground wire for the head?