PCM Flash???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What does it mean to "flash your pcm''? Is that the same as resetting the pcm and the disconnecting of the battery? Or is there more to the "flash" thing than just resetting the pcm?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NO, it's not the same...somtimes a dealer will "FLASH" a PCM to update it. Like if the engine has bad spark knock or something, they will update the tune on it to retard timing and "FLASH" it into the PCM.

Or, if you were to get a used PCM from a pick and pull, you can take it to a dealer and they will "FLASH" it so that the odometer and VIN and stuff matches the truck.

If a PCM has been flashed, they will attach a decal on it, saying "FACTORY AUTORIZED UPDATE" if it was done by a dealer.

Knott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Flash means to download a different program. Disconnecting the battery is a reset, which returns the ecm back to the factory settings after the ecm has learned how you drive the vehicle & adapted the program to best suit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bronx79

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NO, it's not the same...somtimes a dealer will "FLASH" a PCM to update it. Like if the engine has bad spark knock or something, they will update the tune on it to retard timing and "FLASH" it into the PCM.

Or, if you were to get a used PCM from a pick and pull, you can take it to a dealer and they will "FLASH" it so that the odometer and VIN and stuff matches the truck.

If a PCM has been flashed, they will attach a decal on it, saying "FACTORY AUTORIZED UPDATE" if it was done by a dealer.

Is it good to have done even if you don't have any major issues? Maybe just to get things tuned?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not really...PCM flashing is what made the 360 and 318 dogs. Rather than actually fix the plenums that were bad, they flashed the PCM's with a tune that had ******** timing, to reduce the knock the bad plenum gasket was causing.

Plus, a dealer is only going to flash it to a factory authorized tune, they wont change anything unless it's to "cover up" another issue. Best thing for that is a programmer like a Superchips 3865. That's essentially what you are doing with the programmer anyway.

OP
OP
bronx79

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really...PCM flashing is what made the 360 and 318 dogs. Rather than actually fix the plenums that were bad, they flashed the PCM's with a tune that had ******** timing, to reduce the knock the bad plenum gasket was causing.

Plus, a dealer is only going to flash it to a dealer authorized tune, they wont change anything. Best thing for that is a programmer like a Superchips 3865. That's essentially what you are doing with the programmer anyway.

Understood!! I desperately need a tuner due to the fact that i have long tube headers and dual exhaust and CAI.... I don't think i get enough fuel to my truck with this set up nor can i maximize my gains without he tuner. Thank you for the info!!

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
just remember, once you get a tuner and get a performance tune loaded do not, I repeat DO NOT let the dealer do a flash for any reason until you unload the tune first. If you don't their tune will override your performance tune and lock you out of your programmer until you get it sent backand reset. Usually that's a fee that comes out of your pocket.

DodgePCMExpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Dodge PCM Expert

If a PCM is installed without proper programming, it will not recognize the input from the engine and powertrain sensors.

This generally results in the activation of the “Check Engine” warning light. In most cases, the problem lies with the module receiving information from the ignition system, heating and cooling system sensors, or the fuel injection sensors.

Take a look at this blog for more information I think will help answer your questions

Dodge PCM Blog

TRX318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I have a 2010 TRX with the 4.7. I was told today that my pcm wouldn't straighten up after being flashed. Is there anything I can do other than shell out 800 for a new one?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can get refurbished ones online for a lot less than that. I'd google refurbished 2010 Ram PCM to find the sellers.

TRX318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
You can get refurbished ones online for a lot less than that. I'd google refurbished 2010 Ram PCM to find the sellers.

Have you ever heard of one that wouldn't update after being flashed?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes. PCM failures do occur and it can be caused by a firmware failure or an electrical problem. That is how the refurbished PCM market gets their core units.

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
If it was fine before they touched it throw a fit until they fix it, biggest problem with dealers is they think they can **** your **** up and blame it on you and force you to pay for it. When they say they can't pay for it tell them you want the corporate hotline, sometimes that alone is enough to motivate them to fix, if not call customer satisfaction I think it's called or resolution and tell them what happened.

neonhomer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am wondering if they can take a PCM that is configured for a 5.2, and reflash it with the correct calibration for a 5.9?

I really hate to run a tuner just to make a 360 work in a 318 truck, as the tunes just don't seem quite right sometimes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963