Performance help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey so I am new to this thread and new to the hemi world. Anyways I just bought a 2004 1500 4x4 hemi. I am looking to get some more power out of it. I am going to get some long tube headers, off-road ypipe. I also want I do a cam swap, looking for more low end power, any recommendations? Also before I start doing anything is there anything I should be doing to the truck besides just a tune up. I am really not wanting to blow my motor right now.. Just any help would be appreciated

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome, what kind of miles are on the truck? There are a few of us cammed guys on here that can guide you. Budget is also going to be the next question. Last thing is are you going to do the install or have a shop do it?

OP
OP
Bigdaddycodes

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome, what kind of miles are on the truck? There are a few of us cammed guys on here that can guide you. Budget is also going to be the next question. Last thing is are you going to do the install or have a shop do it?

Oh I'm sorry I meant to put mileage but well I'm from Canada so my truck has 190000km so roughly 107000 miles? It is a daily driver and I know it is higher mileage. Anyway my budget is fairly open I mean I'm not
GOing to go drop 10 grand on it but a couple is fine. And I mean I will probably do it myself and just have some of the other mechanics at work just make sure everything is good as I mean I am just an apprentice mechanic but am really just wanting to learn an this way I can save money on labour charges

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Oh I'm sorry I meant to put mileage but well I'm from Canada so my truck has 190000km so roughly 107000 miles? It is a daily driver and I know it is higher mileage. Anyway my budget is fairly open I mean I'm not
GOing to go drop 10 grand on it but a couple is fine. And I mean I will probably do it myself and just have some of the other mechanics at work just make sure everything is good as I mean I am just an apprentice mechanic but am really just wanting to learn an this way I can save money on labour charges

I put my cam in with more miles than that. Just make sure you change all the necessary parts and you should be fine. Cams are fun! :D

OP
OP
Bigdaddycodes

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put my cam in with more miles than that. Just make sure you change all the necessary parts and you should be fine. Cams are fun! :D

Have you had any issues at all? Also any cam you recommend? Did you have to get a custom tune done? Also what parts do I need? I have read about upgrading springs and what not?

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A Comp 260 is a good, torque-y cam and it'll run off a Superchip tune.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Have you had any issues at all? Also any cam you recommend? Did you have to get a custom tune done? Also what parts do I need? I have read about upgrading springs and what not?

The only issue I've had has been that its been so damn cold in NJ I can't have much fun cause the roads are snowed over! Haha

I went with the Inertia Crazy Jay Plus after talking with the guys at Inertia. I told them all the mods I had and what else I was planning on doing and they recommended the cam to me. Being that I am a QC I wanted a very torquey low end cam. With my cam I had to get a custom tune but I was planning on doing that anyways so I wasn't worried about that. Inertia also has custom forged pushrods built specifically for the cam you choose to go with so instead of the 6.1L pushrods I went with the custom forged ones. You'll also need the 6.1L exhaust valve springs.

Other stuff you would need is new head gaskets, new timing set, new timing cover gasket, new crank bolt, new cam bolt, a set of head bolts for each side, new oil filter, oil, coolant, ummm...I think that's everything. I'll have to check my email for the parts list later.

You may also need new intake manifold gaskets. I did but I was also fixing a problem I was having so it's not necessary unless you want to.

I think that's all there is. It's a relatively straight forward install if you know what you're doing. If not it may be a bit daunting but its definitely possible. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
What kind of gears are you thinking and so I would have to do front and rear diffs correct? Also how can I tell what gears I have now?

Recommendations usually go with tires smaller than 33" use 4:10, 33" and taller 4:56. 4x4 would be good using 4:56 regardless. Check with Moe's to get the install kits and gears. Matt won't steer you wrong.