Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Planning a rebuild (over time)

This is a discussion on Planning a rebuild (over time) within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!

Like Tree8Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: 4.7 V8
Well didn't progress as far as I wanted to. When I took old engine out I wrapped a sling, doubled up with one end around right side exhaust manifold & the other end around the bottleneck of the timing cover where top radiator goes. I'll see if I got pics of that, anyway I didn't want to lift from those points with new engine. I saw a couple YouTube videos & someone used the 2 studs sticking up from the heads, I didn't have those studs until the day I grabbed fuel rail from the junkyard. I grabbed a fuel rail off a grand Cherokee & there were the studs. Now their in my motor. The studs looked to me as if they would just fold in, so off to the hardware store to grab a piece of angle iron. Made a little bracket to go from stud to stud. While there I grabbed a couple nuts & washers for the studs. Of course I grabbed wrong size. Back to store with the stud & now all set. So I made the bracket & remembered I still had to fill front differential, gear oil & 30 sucked.

Sorry I ramble.

So I rigged up engine hoist, started going or looking for bolts for motor mount (again take tons of pics, & label everything, everything, every bolt) it helps big time. Oops, forgot flex plate, clean up bolts, install with lock-tite blue. Then my mother in law stopped by for a visit & she never comes here so visited a bit & now its dark & cold.

Tomorrow morning, engine is on hoist & that's the first thing I'm ready to do, is drop it in. I can't lay under there trying to line up bell housing, with flashlights. Tomorrow will be cold again but I'll be able to see.

That's the bracket I made. The back of the motor will want to dip down because of the cab forward design, & I'll achieve that using a ratchet strap, more pics tomorrow. Yikes, that pic came out sideways......
Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Last edited by aheeejd; 12-16-2016 at 07:07 PM.
aheeejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

So Saturday came, & my dad showed up at 9:30 am to help. God bless him, he's 70, just moved back to New England after spending 20+ years out on the left coast. Its about 30 & I know he's freezing. But it took some doing but got motor in, motor mounts bolted up & got a couple bell housing bolts started, will tackle again tomorrow.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

And of course forgot to put on dust shield. So I get it in, & realized the hole for starter is on wrong side. Very frustrating. Fixed that, & had trouble with 1 of the bigger bell housing bolts, it just wasn't seating all the way. 30 ft/lbs already. Thought something might be pinched between. I reef on it & a little piece of cast aluminum falls down to me. F -this, off to hardware store & bought a couple shorter bolts (flange bolts to be exact). Bolted together, torque to 30 ft/lbs & proceed to starter.

Still have to put on structural cover. & then I can move to putting stuff on engine, fuel rail, intake, hook up wires, hoses & start this bad ass.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #24 (permalink)

Things have been coming along slowly with the cold & just the holiday season. 4 stepchildren, 3 of which are girls, "can we go to the mall".
Anyway, Wednesday evening I changed out filters on the transmission. I say filters cause I have tranny cooler & that has its own return filter, it was probably 11 pm, cold, me laying on the tar & I stripped out 2 bolts. Walked away, went to bed. Thursday I installed intake, I got from a junkyard, mine was nasty, filthy. The one from junkyard in exceptionally good condition. $75, good score there.

Need to install fuel rail, hook up wires & then try & fix tranny pan. I didn't add tranny oil because I may need to drop pan again. I bought a tap that I will try & clean up the threads & hopefully that'll be enough to fix. If not I bought next size up tap & will probably have to drop pan for that. I don't want to attempt to start it until I fix pan. I mean the torque converter will spin, where's that oil gonna go. But I'm so close to starting, without radiator etc. Just want to see if it will fire. I plan on pulling fuel relay, & turn over until I build oil pressure, then install relay & let her rip. That way I won't have a dry start. To be continued

Old 12-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Things are going ok. Great actually because I don't know if it was just late, I was tired or what. But the 2 tranny pan bolts that I thought I stripped out are now tight.

Motor almost ready to start, but I can't for the life of me remember where the long end of the negative battery cable goes. You got the terminal & right on the fender is 1 lead. Then off the other side of the terminal 2 cables come off, 1 is bolted to the frame right near front of tire. The 3rd long one I cant remember, please help someone.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #26 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006, 1985
Engine: 5.7, 360
I'd think it would bolt onto the front of the engine block, at least that's where it goes on the Hemi. Good to see you're almost finished.
aheeejd likes this.

RonJon '06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

Yeah but I'm just not seeing where to mount. I'll take a pic

Old 12-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

This is the cable, hope you can make something out of pic,

Old 12-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Merry Christmas everybody

Old 12-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006, 1985
Engine: 5.7, 360
Did some searching and it looks like it bolts to the block on the passenger's side along with two other wire bundles. Look below the header near the front O2 sensor.
aheeejd likes this.

RonJon '06 is offline   Reply With Quote