Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattkassebaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hemi
Okay so I know this does not belong in this forum but I need help!!! Have an 03 1500 with the Hemi. Pulled out of the gas station and it just shut off. Towed it home and it started right up. Drove to work next day and same thing...shut off. Towed it home and still wont start. It cranks but will not start. Here's the thing....it starts on starting fluid so the spark is good. No codes. I did notice now that the wipers dont work and horn does not work on the wheel or key fob. All the research I see says front or forward control module (fmc). Also heard it called body control module. Again, I have checked all fuses and relays. As I said, all three of those problems are only combined at that module. Please an help!!!

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Strange it's not throwing codes. My 06 started stalling one night and barely got me home but it threw several codes. Turned out to be a bad battery. The strange part was it didn't crank over slow or anything so I didn't know. My mechanic buddy said said it may be my aftermarket ignition coils sucking more juice. I put a 700 amp battery in it and have had no problems since.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agreed, pull the battety and have it load tested for starters. Newer vehicles are very sensitive to battery voltage. They may crank fine but run like crap or not at all. I think my old 97 ram actually did that once.

Make sure you're battery terminals are clean and you have a good ground

OP
OP
M

Mattkassebaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hemi
Maybe its something that simple. I did a lot of digging on forums and even thought it the ECM but if the ECM controls everything, including th FCM, then it wouldnt seem that anything would work. One forum said that the power locks were actually wired in with the ok to start. Ive heard alot of people complain about lights and radio and gauges acting goofy because of the FCM, but like I said mine is just start and wiper and horn. The only other thing and its a long shot is that I thought the FCM is not putting out enough volts to to run the wiper and horns because of me trying to start it and that maybe Im lucky enough for it just to be a fuel pump. The only problem with that is that if there's not enough voltage to run the wiper and the horn why is there enough voltage running through it to turn all the lights on and turn signals and Radio and brake lights and tail lights? Thank you for replying to my dilemma and offering me suggestions.

OP
OP
M

Mattkassebaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hemi
Mine is a new battery and it cranks good and actually acts like a fuel pump. Whats throwing me off is the no wipers or horn on the wheel OR the key fob. All fuses are good on wiper and horn. Everything else works good. Thats why I was leaning to the FCM.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Mine is a new battery and it cranks good and actually acts like a fuel pump. Whats throwing me off is the no wipers or horn on the wheel OR the key fob. All fuses are good on wiper and horn. Everything else works good. Thats why I was leaning to the FCM.

Okay, I a similar problem years back, but mine would start right back up, ended up being my EGR, since I started running 93 octane I haven't had that issue since. Fast forward and I started having an intermittent issue like yours and it was the fuel pump. I replaced the pump and all is good, if you turn the key to "ON" position you should hear the pump prime 5 seconds. Do this several times and see if the pump comes on each time or if it doesn't some times.

Edit: I just reread your first post, it does sound like electrical issue, that fuse box would be #1. Even though the fuses and relays are good it's quite possibly something internal, those things are a big issue with our trucks.

Last edited:

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds to me like an electronic issue with those other things not working... check ground wire connections to the body for corrosion and clean them up...

OP
OP
M

Mattkassebaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hemi
Okay I tested battery and is all good. Looked at all connections under fuse box and all are clean. Checked FCM and it is spotless. Cleaned all battery connections all good. My dealer can run the computer to it for $99. They say an hour to run through the whole program and can find things even without it throwing codes. Obviously they can find things that my handheld cant seeing mine will only read codes. Im leaning to the ECM or FCM. It seems our trucks are common for that. I gave $2000 for it 3 years ago with 179,000 on it and its absolutely spotless and all Ive done is put tires and an alternator on it so I cant complain now. Its just frustrating because it my only vehicle.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have them check out the TIPM. When that acts up, it can cause all sorts of issues. My neighbor had to replace his, the truck wouldn't start.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
The TIPM....thats the whole fuse box right?

The TIPMs are only on the 2006 and newer Rams. I'd start by listening for the fuel pump to make sure it's priming as suggested and check to see if you have fuel pressure. There's a Schrader valve on the top passenger's side of the engine where you can check it.

OP
OP
M

Mattkassebaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hemi
Mines an 03. I just did the fuel pump pressure test and I have zero pressure. I tried tapping the tank and pump with no results. I know that alone says fuel pump but does not explain the wiper not working and the horn not working at the same time. As my earlier post said the horn wont work on the wheel or key fob and wiper does not work but washer does. Im still leaning to FCM or PCM(ECM). ONLY because that is where all three problems are linked. My question now is .....is the fuel pump a dummy? I mean when you turn the key on, the pump should come on and say maybe be 40 psi (just a guess). Does it maintain the pressure or does the computer tell the pump to turn on?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
When the key is turned on the fuel pump should prime and maintain a pressure around 57 psi. I'd also suspect the FCM or maybe corrosion in the fusebox. I'm not great at electrical but if you've got a voltmeter you could test the circuits to see where the voltage is dropping before replacing any expensive parts. Could also bite the bullet and take it in to the shop for the diagnostic.

Mattrich67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l S.O. 250 hp
Have someone crank the motor over with you under the truck hitting the gas tank with a big hammer at the same time.
If it starts up then it's fuel pump.
Very common for those dodges I have done plenty pumps in those.

OP
OP
M

Mattkassebaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hemi
Okay, thank you for all the help. I did try to run a wire straight from the battery to the prong in the relay for the fuel pump and nothing kicked on. I did the same thing for the wipers and the horn. All with negative results. I am going to agree and say I believe it is the fcm or the fuse box. I have it scheduled for Thursday to have it put on a computer and hopefully that will tell me.

OP
OP
M

Mattkassebaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hemi
Okay, update from the stealership. Had a 3pm appt today. Evidently my money isnt a priority so they didnt look at it today. Maybe tomorrow.

OP
OP
M

Mattkassebaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hemi
Okay for those who are following this, the dealer said the truck threw a code for the fuel pump relay control circuit. My scanner couldnt read any codes but obviously theirs is more in depth. An ideas? Is this something I can tackle at home? Kinda of nervous about a dealer telling me about something I nothing about. That usually means I need a deep wallet.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
The fuse box would still be muy first guess, the early 3rd gen's seem to have the most fuse box issues. I'f it makes you feel any better I think mine is going out as well, I'll pull mine apart and re-flow everything on the board in hopes that it'll alleviate anymore issues.