Ported TB size help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok i know this is a common subject but ive searched everywhere i can think of and cant find a solid answer for my build. So i have a 07 ram 1500 4x4 big horn 5.7 Hemi, current engine mods are diablosport trinity tuner with hemifever 92 octane tune, S&B CAI, res delete with FM 10 series delta flow. very near future mods in order are moes 180-T stat, moes ported 85 or 87mm TB (ordering soon as i can get this situated,) 4.56 gears, ARH long tube headers with high flow cat. So from almost all the research ive done it seems like ported 85 suits me best as i do not plan on adding any kind of forced air or nitrous or cam etc. However i read that 87mm is better if your adding headers?? Could someone more knowledgable then me or that has either or help me out here please. Slightly afraid a 87 will make it lose some off the line umf and/or rough idle but im definitely no expert. Also my truck is unfortunately driven daily (thats the reason im not adding a cam lol,) its babied like crazy and maintained about as **** as it gets and driven daily means only to work, the gym, back home. other running around is done with my wifes 4runner lol. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
First, the idea of a ported throttle is that it is a stock TB that has been modified to have a greater diameter as you approach wide open, but still behaves like a stock TB under normal driving and acceleration--so that you don't have to have a tune to make it work.
So an 85 or 87mm isn't going to bog-down your engine or choke your low end grunt. One of the primary advantages of a ported TB from Moe's is that it is almost undetectable for those of us still under warranty (N/A for you).

You have long tube headers, a tuner and a custom tune, so you can push out as much air as you can take in. An 85mm TB would be an improvement over stock. For about $50-$60 more, an 87mm TB would be about as large as you would reasonably want to go. Either should work for your set-up. :happy107:

So, what should you do? Pull out your cell phone and call Matt at Moe's Performance and see if there is anything I've failed to add.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i actually e-mailed moe's i think it was friday but no response :hmm: . But sounds like a ported 87 is the way to go for me then. thanks for the help man!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read that 85s are sufficient unless your doing a cam swap or stroker, then you'd want an 87 or bigger.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 87 will not affect the "off line grunt". Or cause idle issues. I'm running an s&b with hf tune and shorties. You will know it's on there because the wot has more pull. But when daily driving around town you can go like grandpa and still see good mileage and great drive ability. I've had the 87 for a few months and a few thousand miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i actually e-mailed moe's i think it was friday but no response :hmm: . But sounds like a ported 87 is the way to go for me then. thanks for the help man!
4th of July Weekend, might be on skeleton staff....?

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Robocop_9 thanks for that info man sounds like for the extra few bucks its worth getting the 87 if no negative affects to driveability. @ Casper yeah that is a possibility, i mean i emailed the 23rd i think so not exactly 4th weekend but could be vacation or what not. im still going to get a Moe's based on all the people here and assume this was just a fluke deal, spam or something who knows

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
usaf2006 yeah thats what i heard alot of, but its sounding more and more like since its a ported TB going with the 87 wont hurt anything including driveability and just leave me with the option of loppin this baby if i ever get a wild hair to do so lol please if im wrong someone correct me

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I run a Modern Muscle 87mm throttle body on my 4x2 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 5.7L HEMI. Been on my engine since 2014 with zero problems. I also run the Superchips Performance (modified) 91 octane tune, and stock cam, for now.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Harley is the MM you have a ported or is that a "true" 87? But either way very good to hear, thanks for the reply. I'm going to go with the 87. My TB $ just went to 2 light bars lol but next check 87 will be ordered. Thanks everyone for the info!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Robocop_9 thanks for that info man sounds like for the extra few bucks its worth getting the 87 if no negative affects to driveability. @ Casper yeah that is a possibility, i mean i emailed the 23rd i think so not exactly 4th weekend but could be vacation or what not. im still going to get a Moe's based on all the people here and assume this was just a fluke deal, spam or something who knows
El telephono es mas bueno