possible problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ramaholic224

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
now if i went with a 392 stroker kit in my 5.7 would it be unwise to boost that to?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Again, most builders would recommend a 370 for boost, but there are lots of guys out there with boosted 392s, just depends on the pistons used. If you talk to any of the reputable engine builders, they're all willing to discuss pros/cons for each build.

You can boost a 426 as well, same caution about pistons, and you also need a much bigger blower to build boost. 12psi generally requires a D1SC, a Novi 1500, or a Ysi trim. Everything is dictated by how big you want to go, so you need to determine if you want to run high boost or low boost with stroker. Both will make power, just need a different base to start from.

OP
OP
R

ramaholic224

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im planning on staying in a lower boost area so which base would that be? also thinking at a lower boost it will be safer on my pistons

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Before I answer that, the next question that must be answered is what transmission are you planning to run behind whatever engine you go with? So far the 545rfe is the thing holding most builds back. I'm still testing my trans to see how it will hold up over long periods of high power.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
From what I have seen in person the smaller the ci the more boost affects the power. We had a 5.7 stoked to a 370 in a Jeep with a custom front mount 66 that did better then expected on not alot of boost. Now when you start adding CI you have to add more lift in the cam and then more boost to feel it. Dependabilty is also the question you have to look at. With the 6.1 motor being disc from dodge a few years back and all of the new cores being already purchased at that time anything you get off of that block will be a returned core that has been tanked and sonic checked and repainted.

OP
OP
R

ramaholic224

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
was planning on running a rebuilt 545rfe, is that what you are running? what are you running for horse? and is it holding up well so far? sorry for so many questions haha

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The 545rfe has its moments far as being a decent trans, stress the word decent. The killer on it is the 2nd prime downshift that blows up clutch packs. Knowing what your working with and against will keep you from being upset. Whats your end goal for the truck? Also are you 2wd or 4x4?

The things you have going for you is your an 04 so you can tune the motor anyway you want. Trans wise your stuck with SC since Diablo can only adjust 05 up.