Power Steering Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPKNout4CHRIST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi 5.7.

I am having issues being able to steer. If I am moving or give it gas when sitting still I can steer it okay, but otherwise the wheel will not turn at all or is EXTREMELY difficult to turn. Also, when turning the wheel I hear the typical whining noise associated with a power steering issue.

I replaced the pressure switch a couple of months back as that is what was causing the check engine light to come on. That fixed the check engine light issue, but had no effect on the issue above. I have added fluid to make sure it is full, but that has also not had any effect.

Is the next thing I am looking the power steering pump? If so, what kind do I need to replace it with? I have seen them with and without the reservoir, etc. Lastly, is this something I should be able to accomplish myself? I am fairly mechanically inclined, but don’t want to get in over my head.

Thanks in advance for the advice and God bless!

Matthew

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
View attachment 23563

I would be replacing the PS pump especially if is making noise. I took a picture of the back of mine, there are three bolts connecting it to the block. Once you get the belt off you can spin the pulley to get access to all of them. You could probably do it from underneath but if you need to get to it from the top then it might be easier to move the fan shroud if it is in the way. If you do that then be careful not to hit the backside of your radiator with anything otherwise you'll be headed back to the auto parts store for another one. Maybe take a pic of the belt before you take it off so you know how it goes back on and when you disconnect the hoses I like to wrap them with a rag or cardboard and gently clamp them with a vice grips so they don't leak. I don't think its too difficult, easier than replacing the head lamp bulb on some of these newer vehicles IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SPKNout4CHRIST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, that makes sense and sounds easy enough.

I see a couple of different pumps available. One with a reservoir and one without. Which one do I need or how do I tell?

Thanks for the help!

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If it isn't cracked then you can take your reservoir off the old pump and put it on the new one. If doesn't cost that much more it might be easier to just replace the whole thing.

OP
OP
S

SPKNout4CHRIST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, sounds good. I think it may be 10 or 20 bucks more to get the reservoir, so I will probably go that route. Thank you for the help!

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try a cap full of a synthetic oil like Mobile 1 any synth will do. Add it to the resevour. Turn the truck on and steer it back and fourth. Instant quiet and usually frees up a sticky pump.