Problem with Heads? Block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phodgkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This was originally a different thread about missing rocker arms. I eventually found them all hidden down in the valve springs...2 of the cam shaft bearing caps broke (found those pieces as well) and 1 was cracked.

The original problem reported by the PO was a suspected blown head gasket. I've only got the left head off now, but wanted to share pictures if anyone is able to give any clues about the issue. Mostly it looks good to me except for Cylinder #3...there is some goop pooled on the top of the piston, and some white ash near the edge of the valves (pictures below). Also the head bolt above that cylinder came out with a thick coat of oil.

I figure the head is shot, but I am hoping I don't have an issue with the block. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Piston1.jpg
    Piston1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Piston3.jpg
    Piston3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Piston5.jpg
    Piston5.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Piston7.jpg
    Piston7.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
P

phodgkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And pics of the valves...

Attachments

• Valves1.jpg
    Valves1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Valves3.jpg
    Valves3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Valves5.jpg
    Valves5.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Valves7.jpg
    Valves7.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
P

phodgkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I got the right head off. Three of the cylinders are ugly with rust and crap. The head bolts were not on that tight....finger loose after less than one turn. So I am thinking a lot of coolant flowing everywhere.

My biggest concern and question right now is cylinder #7. I is marred up pretty well on the top side of the wall. I really do not want to do a complete rebuild. I got the truck for $500 and running good KBB only rates it at $1700.

So my question is ...can I just hone out the cylinder as it sits? Bottom out the piston, hone, clean out real well? i know it is not the perfect solution, but just trying to get by at this point. Picture below...

Attachments

• Cylinder 7 rough.jpg
    Cylinder 7 rough.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 8