Problems after new motor install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masdefs33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2006 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 quad cab Hemi. At 170,000 the valve seat in cylinder 6 dropped and destroyed my engine. So I went to Oreillys and bought a reman long block. New oil pump, new water pump, new fan clutch, new belt, new rad hoses, new spark plugs and msd coil packs. I put everything back together using the appropriated torques, gaskets, and lubricants. 100% by the book. Cleaned all connections with connector cleaner and used dielectric grease. Truck had an almost full tank of fuel when it died and sat for almost a month. A mechanic told me the fuel would be fine but I put a Lucas fuel system treatment in it anyway.

Truck started right up. But idle was rough to the point of shaking you in the truck similar to having a serious cam. Drove it for around 100 miles and got a check engine light. Oil pressure was good and so was temp. CEL came back with multiple codes...

B212D- Ignition Run only input circuit open
U0184- Lost communication with radio (have had
aftermarket radio for a year.)
C1036- Rear wheel speed sensor fault
C1008- Brake fluid low (level was fine, cleaned sensor
connector)
C2100- Battery voltage low (checked and it was fine)
P0308- Cylinder 8 misfire.

Thought there might be a large harness connection loose due to all the codes. Checked the only one I tampered with (driver front fender well). Cleaned and zip tied together in case it was vibrating loose.

Changed the spark plugs and coil pack in cylinder 8 and cleaned all connections.

I put 3/4 tank of fresh fuel in it and drive for approx 100 miles with no CEL. Idle was still kind of rough but alot better than before.

At around 110 miles on the new tank the CEL came back on. Idle was the same. All codes came back the same.

My question is, is there something that I missed? A loose ground somewhere or a common connection for all others codes. Truck is running ok and has normal power. Just don't like the CEL. Especially after all the money I just sunk into the truck

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
The pcm's on these 3 gens are notably terrible and are failing constantly. Everything runs through the pcm and tipcm, everything has to be configured. I would have a garage with the right scan tools to check the electrical systems, there's too many things that can go wrong on these things, it's such a pita.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Like Jimmy Hendrix would say Have You Ever Been Experenced? Well I Have.Lol

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
I'd double check the grounds, 1 on each head...try swapping the #8 coil pack with another coil pack and see if the problem follows it or still missing on #8...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo