which programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greatwhite57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Debating on buying either the edge evolution or the superchips cortex. What is you guys opinion on which one I should get. Future mods are mild cam and gear change.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I've only had experience with the older superchips. IMO you can't go wrong with them, but as for which would be better with mild cam, hopefully somebody with experience with that will chime in.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Superchips is plenty for a mild cam and it has better trans control.

OP
OP
greatwhite57

greatwhite57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've been leaning more towards the superchips due to all the reading I've done and all the positive comments about it.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Superchips .... and we also have them as a prime vendor and they give us forum support

Check out there section on here and read up .. lost of good info

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've been running a superchips cortex and I'll never look back

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Superchips is good. I would also consider Diablo Sport. With Diablo you can get a custom tune and it will get more out of the cam (even a mild cam) than the canned tunes. I ran both SC and Diablo in my 05 and IMO you cannot go wrong with either.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I thought the edge was only released for the 07's. In anycase that be my last choice. Either the dsp or sc will work fine, my choice is the dsp for all its extra tuning capabilities for both the tcm and pcm.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Either the dsp or sc will work just depends on how big ya wanna go in the future.

OP
OP
greatwhite57

greatwhite57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What's the difference between the dsp and the superchips. I really don't plan on goin to wild with it I have it lifted as high as I wanna go. Because its still my daily driver.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
What's the difference between the dsp and the superchips. I really don't plan on goin to wild with it I have it lifted as high as I wanna go. Because its still my daily driver.

The DSP/Trinity can do more adjustments to fuel ratios, Idle, timing etc to get it tuned just right. The SC will only do what is programmed on the unit. So if you have a cam that doesnt run quite right on a canned/preloaded tune with the dsp you can contact a few of the tuners and get everything fine tuned, with the superchips your stuck. There have been cases where a "mild cam" wouldnt work unless it had the idle bumped up and superchips wont do that.

I love the way my truck runs with its "bigger cam" in it and it was my daily driver/work truck for a year with the cam in before I got my company truck, when its tuned right you wont and should notice a change in driveability

OP
OP
greatwhite57

greatwhite57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I like the idea of having a little more control of some things and being able to have custom tuning

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
There has always been talks of SC getting a custom tune setup but hasnt happened yet. So far the only real custom ones out are DSP and SCT.

hemi04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Have the software to custom tune if interested!

05RCSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used SC 3865 for awhile but ended up going with a DSP because I plan to do heads cam etc.. If I was going to leave it mostly stock I would stick with SC. Honestly the transmission shifts from SC felt a hell of alot firmer and better than the DSP does. Sc just has the trans shifts down. The truck would lunge forward during shifts and bark the 1-2 and even 2-3 shift. I have 17's. I still get alittle tire spin from 1-2nd with the dsp but not as much and the shifts dont feel nearly as good. The power is there with the DSP but it seems like they are way behind on the trans side...

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I used SC 3865 for awhile but ended up going with a DSP because I plan to do heads cam etc.. If I was going to leave it mostly stock I would stick with SC. Honestly the transmission shifts from SC felt a hell of alot firmer and better than the DSP does. Sc just has the trans shifts down. The truck would lunge forward during shifts and bark the 1-2 and even 2-3 shift. I have 17's. I still get alittle tire spin from 1-2nd with the dsp but not as much and the shifts dont feel nearly as good. The power is there with the DSP but it seems like they are way behind on the trans side...

They are actually more a head of the game than you think. User settings yes they fall short of what the sc can do with their advance trans tuning option, HOWEVER, the dsp has a custom trans tune option (not the user based one but one a CMR tuner would need to do for you) that will do a hell of a lot more than just shift firmness and shift schedule. When I get my laptop back that is what I will be doing, should have had it done already but the laptop with all my backups took a dump so I have to wait to get it back to do the new tune files.