Question about plug wires on the 04 ram 1500 with the 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Mud Crab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so im sorry if this has been asked before but bear with me. I know the Hemi has 16 plugs and no distributor so my question is why are there eight plug wires and where do they go? I just bought this truck and am trying to do any maintenance thats been neglected. This it is my first Hemi and any help would be extremely appreciated.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wires go to the second plug in the cylinder.
The coil fires the main one on firing stroke, and at the same time fires the secondary plug on another cylinder that happens to be on its exhaust stroke.

It's supposed to reduce emissions, but really does nothing.
I'd invest in some shorty plug wires make by Taylor that allows both plugs to fire at once.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
If you buy the taylor long ones they are marked on each wire where they go. If you drive in the cold and want good spark use the 10.4 long as I heard the 8.4 shorties don't like the cold. I have those on my summer 05 Hemi and the long ones on the truck. If you don't want anything fancy a set of OEM speck champions work just as good. Danny