Question on Magnaflow set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hendro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi group. This is my first post. I have been doing about 2 months of research and need some input. Any feedback would be great. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Hemi with a K & N cold air intake.

I currently have a SI/SO 14" Magnaflow with the stock resonator still on. I like the sound but its not quite what I want. Option 1 is doing a 3"SI/2.5" DO out using the Magnaflow #12198 Muffler or option 2 possibly doing an x pipe into a 3"DI/3" DO using Magnaflow #12469. Do you think these 2 options will sound pretty much the same? Feedback appreciated!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to RF.....i might be wrong but I don't think you even need an x pipe with the muffler you paired it with. It was my understanding that an X pipe was more for use when running true duals.

Are you just looking for louder? If so another opposition is to keep what you have and get an electric cutout

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Better yet ... get rid of that resonator and it will flow and sound a hell of allot better .

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Won't there be greater chance of drone with the resonator gone though?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
the resonator is a piece of crap behind the rear wheel ... how are you going to hear that?
I always cut that ****** out ... just a big ol restrictive pile of crap

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Im not sure just read where people have put it back on and it cut down done. Personally I would get rid of it too

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
It is not located under the trucks cab .. so the people that said they had drone are full of crap . Go look at your truck .. behind the rear wheel .. thats the resonator . See how far away from the cab it is ?

Most guys that Dump exhaust right out of the muffler get drone .
Chopping off the res and replacing with a piece of pipe .. no drone .

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the resonator is a piece of crap behind the rear wheel ... how are you going to hear that?

+1, resonator cut off with a 22" exhaust and call it done.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cut off the resonator...

i cut my exhaust off at the rear axle, still get no drone. and my muffler is loud enough to set off car alarms. but it doesnt drone.

OP
OP
H

Hendro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats an option I am considering. Maybe I could just cut it off. Not really worried about any drone. :)

OP
OP
H

Hendro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Lol, it would be less expensive to at least try that!

OP
OP
H

Hendro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the comments. I am still wondering though as for sound difference for the two options I first mentioned. I would like to get duals done eventually. Any thoughts?

In the mean time, I will cut that resonator off, and maybe at some time weld in a replacement pipe.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
You cut out the res .. you will notice a hell of a difference in sound ... and that is free.

Want to do more .. replace the muffler

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
resonator at least on my truck is not restrictive. I's basically another glasspack. Yes it changes sound but thats it.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Resonators are restrictive. If you look in them they are basically a pipe inside a pipe with drilled slots in there along with some sort of sound deadening material between the inner and outer pipe. There are the skinny bullet types which flow a little better, and then there are the mini muffler style that add more filler to deaden the sound at the tip. Both are more restrictive than a straight pipe.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2008 Dodge Ram Magnaflow - YouTube

This is my old 2008 ram. I would go with X-pipe after cats into a dual in dual out muffler. It will create enough back pressure to elimante the drone sound. After the Muffler I then ran the pipes straight out the back. I hope this helps.