Radiator help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KuntRRyBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am 8.5 hours from home working. My radiator has started to leak. I just put a new engine in about 4K ago. It on the side where the metal is crimp to the plastic side. I cant install a new one right now. Will any of these help, with out damaging my new engine? 02 4.7ccbb33f18ef6bced86871cbbe0470f40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't do it. I've had stop seal clog up the heater core. I've heard of it clogging water jackets and thermostats too.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I wouldn't do it. I've had stop seal clog up the heater core. I've heard of it clogging water jackets and thermostats too.
I'll second that, mine did the same and had your idea to seal it since it was just the seem and not a bad leak but now even with a new radiator I have intermittent heating issues so thinking it clogged somewhere else. Others have had goods luck but it's not really a good idea.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't do it. That crap will make its way all around in the cooling system and like they said can wreak havoc on small passages and your heater core and all that.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely do not do it !
If the leak is very tiny , Mabe try to get home and pack a bunch of water in the back .
If that's not feasible just gonna have to install a new radiator where you are
Don't want to damage your new engine .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

KuntRRyBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely do not do it !
If the leak is very tiny , Mabe try to get home and pack a bunch of water in the back .
If that's not feasible just gonna have to install a new radiator where you are [emoji34][emoji34]
Don't want to damage your new engine .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Im stuck in Central City, Ky working for the next few months. Ill have to borrow some tools and buy a new radiator at Autozone on one of my days off. I keep a super close eye on it. I bought some coolant to keep with me and keep it topped off.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Just a note. The 4.7 (at least mine) has a closed system, i.e. you can not add water to the reservoir while the system is at temp. I've done this (adding as needed on a road trip), it really is a pita, as you have to wait for it to cool down enough to lose pressure.

I also agree with not putting any of that stuff in. I think the previous owner of my truck must have, after at least 3-4 flushes, new radiator, and new heater core, I still get a partially blocked heater core...

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
My radiator had the same leak.
Bought a new one, same leak within a few days.
Bought another new one and it's been fine for almost 2 years.
Just strange that I bought a new one that had the same exact leak.
Thought maybe I goofed and it wasn't the radiator.

Job is pretty easy. Took me like an hour.
Get a new one. Don't gunk up that 4.7

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Last time I used that **** (going on 20yrs or so) it destroyed the water pump. Like everyone says, don't put that **** in there; patch the outside if you can if you're unable to put a new rad in at the moment.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Just change it out on your day off you don't want to risk messing up your new engine or your cooling system

OP
OP
K

KuntRRyBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just change it out on your day off you don't want to risk messing up your new engine or your cooling system

Days off!? Wtf are those? I work 7 12's lol. Ill do it this weekend. We are off for memorial day