Raise torque on a 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toothless

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
On your 5.7L ram how would you raise torque, for the obvious, getting up and going. I see lifted, monsters, lowered, leveled, slammed,But nothing fast Around the area I'm currently stationed at.What mods, tunes, etc. to first raise torque and then horsepower. If that sounds off to you guys, I'm still in a novice stage of cars/trucks

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Is your truck currently stock, or do you already have a few performance upgrades? If you are stock, then I would look into a programmer first. From there, a set of 4.10/4.56 gears and/or a new tq converter, and you will have a tq monster.

For the tuner, I would go with the Superchips Flashpaq if you are looking to keep things simple, or a custom tune from Hemifever if you are looking to pull every last HP out of the motor.

As for gears, this will depend on your current gear ratio, current tire size, and how you use the truck. Give us some more info about your truck, and we can help figure these out.

On the converter, this will be custom built for your truck based on your needs and current mods. Raising the stall speed is going to give you an instant kick in low end tq, and the increased efficiency will show an increase in power all across the rpm band. These 3 mods will completely transform your truck.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
If you want torque, a Turbo or Super Charger will gain you quite a bit!

Gearing just makes up for the lack of it at the crank. lol

Chris

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
nothing fast? Really? there are a few guys on here with fast torquey trucks.

Is your truck currently stock, or do you already have a few performance upgrades? If you are stock, then I would look into a programmer first. From there, a set of 4.10/4.56 gears and/or a new tq converter, and you will have a tq monster.

For the tuner, I would go with the Superchips Flashpaq if you are looking to keep things simple, or a custom tune from Hemifever if you are looking to pull every last HP out of the motor.

As for gears, this will depend on your current gear ratio, current tire size, and how you use the truck. Give us some more info about your truck, and we can help figure these out.

On the converter, this will be custom built for your truck based on your needs and current mods. Raising the stall speed is going to give you an instant kick in low end tq, and the increased efficiency will show an increase in power all across the rpm band. These 3 mods will completely transform your truck.

^^^ pretty much sums it up. I'd take a trans tune over a hp tune though. Much more noticeable gain. Also a good torquey cam will give you some strong gains down low too.

Last edited:

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want torque, a Turbo or Super Charger will gain you quite a bit!

Gearing just makes up for the lack of it at the crank. lol

Chris

Start saving for that new transmission. lol

4.56's gears, that's what you are looking for is too make up for the parasitic of tq and hp at the crank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toothless

Toothless

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Okay before ya'll nit pick words. My meaning for saying "nothing fast" was about the immediate area I am stationed at. It's all about lifted or slammed rims and style vs speed. I should've made that more clear.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
might want to edit your original post if that's the case.

as far as adding power, you're in the right place. need to know a little more about your truck though to give some better answers.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Budget is also what we need to know. I have gobbs of trq from my cam/head combo and with adding the verter it has allowed more of that to hit the ground.

OP
OP
Toothless

Toothless

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My ram is pretty much stock, with the exception of a single in dual out exhaust

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Trq.... 33" all terrians, 20" rims with the stock 3.92 gear and verter at the time. There are a few on here that can do this and more. This is a video of my truck playing around. Motor has bout everything done besides stroking it or adding boost.

[yt]cXJ4qJeT9xw[/yt]

OP
OP
Toothless

Toothless

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As far as budget, I'm moving my wife closer to her work then deploying for a year. Low at the moment just doing the maintenance portion so the wife is good to go for the next year. Next year ill be doing the more serious stuff for the truck. I'm the only person in my section with a truck, so the love is out the window. I'm always on forums ,in Books, on sites, etc. doing research.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
On Comp Cam's site this is identified as the cam with the most torque.
112-530-11 - Tri-Power Xtreme Says it needs a tuner which surprises me as the next more aggressive cam that is usually the one everyone recommends (260) doesn't need a tuner.
Strange...

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Welcome to OP! Not to jack but is that Cam the One they call the HHP 260 cause I did some research and what worries me is it says its an MDS Cam which is good for the OP but was wondering if a Non-MDS Motor makes any diff, kinda like the CS that was in the truck (Non MDS) and now in the RT Mag (MDS). That Cam Gregg looks like a Good Choice for an 03 on SC (given the 115 LSA) except for the 5500 Max, wonder if shifting that at 6K would do anything unless given all that torque you end up at those RPM anyways from a spin out of Power like in Kens Video.

Gears, Torque Converter with headers and Cam are the Big 4 Choice for sure but all Mods are Culmative, headers and Cam being done same time. sonnax Line Boost with the SC is a good start. ported TB is a finish it off Mod IMO when it comes to a 3rd Gen, Unfortunately Mine is at the Bottum of a Garbage Can (Gonna try a new One from The Current Better Moes Performance...soon....LOL>)

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
That cam page doesn't mention anything about MDS. I "think" the setup would be 1-5/8" LT headers, ORY, straight through type exhaust, CAI, tight converter with gears and it would be strong on the bottom, but all in at redline. But really none of us build high rpm engines and most all mods increase torque to some extent. Good luck, and have a safe deployment.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
2800-3000 tc, 4.10/4.56/4.88 gears and 28" tires. Then relearn how your truck responds and act accordingly as you are going to spin which does not help when you hole shot.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
D I have no idea how you drove yours with 4.88 gears. Had to be neck snapping if they ever hooked.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
88's and 28 inch tires, I bet that was fun.
Back in the day before OD trans came out the common racer gears being 3:90, 4:10, 4:56 and 4:88. The really serious guys ran the 4:56 and 4:88's. The old A&W and Frosty Freeze would really jump.... lol

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
that was back when he was running the 273 right