Ram 1500 Hemi Cold Start Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slowbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright, this is a follow up thread to an issue I had last winter where my 08 QCSB hemi would surge and lope when started in cold weather. The problem fixed itself because, well, winter ended. Unfortunately for me, winter is back along with my problem. This time though, I at least got video of the problem on a particularly cold day.
A few things to keep in mind:
-Bad gas is not the problem, the truck ran beautifully on the same tank until it got extremely cold.
-The truck starts right up without having to crank endless times, it just runs badly, and so I don't think the injectors are clogged/to blame here.
-Spark plugs were replaced last year at 36,000 miles with Copper NGK's.
-Throttle body was removed and cleaned last year around 36,000 miles as well.
No CEL comes on, nor does an OBDII scanner record any error codes.
-Battery is a year old and pushes something like 900CCA. Again, probably not the problem because the truck does turn over smoothly and start right up.
-Truck is on factory engine tune, no programmer.
Here's a link to the video of the problem.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Alright, this is a follow up thread to an issue I had last winter where my 08 QCSB hemi would surge and lope when started in cold weather. The problem fixed itself because, well, winter ended. Unfortunately for me, winter is back along with my problem. This time though, I at least got video of the problem on a particularly cold day.
A few things to keep in mind:
-Bad gas is not the problem, the truck ran beautifully on the same tank until it got extremely cold.
-The truck starts right up without having to crank endless times, it just runs badly, and so I don't think the injectors are clogged/to blame here.
-Spark plugs were replaced last year at 36,000 miles with Copper NGK's.
-Throttle body was removed and cleaned last year around 36,000 miles as well.
No CEL comes on, nor does an OBDII scanner record any error codes.
-Battery is a year old and pushes something like 900CCA. Again, probably not the problem because the truck does turn over smoothly and start right up.
-Truck is on factory engine tune, no programmer.
Here's a link to the video of the problem.

Do you gave a power wire installed?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Nope, no power wire. Those things seem like a bad idea. I suppose an IAT sensor could be at fault though.

It has a bit of advance timing feel to it. As the IAT senses colder temperature it adds timing. As resistance is added to the IAT circuit it causes the sensor to indicate cooler temperature. Maybe a corroded plug? What rpm does you engine usually idle at when started cold?

OP
OP
Slowbro

Slowbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has a bit of advance timing feel to it. As the IAT senses colder temperature it adds timing. As resistance is added to the IAT circuit it causes the sensor to indicate cooler temperature. Maybe a corroded plug? What rpm does you engine usually idle at when started cold?

Corroded plug feels unlikely just because it did the surging prior to the full 16 spark plug change I did last winter (one of the first things I did to address this problem). The engine usually high idles around ~1400 and then slowly backs itself down to maybe 600RPM or so as it warms up.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Corroded plug feels unlikely just because it did the surging prior to the full 16 spark plug change I did last winter (one of the first things I did to address this problem). The engine usually high idles around ~1400 and then slowly backs itself down to maybe 600RPM or so as it warms up.

I meant the electrical plug the IAT is plugged into.

OP
OP
Slowbro

Slowbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I meant the electrical plug the IAT is plugged into.

Oh, that makes more sense! Quick update, I went to good old advance and replaced the IAT sensor, and it has improved cold start idling. The surging is way less pronounced than before, but it still isn't totally fixed. Not to mention that was only one instance. I'll let it sit overnight and give it another cold start to see if the improvement is still noticeable. I'll also check the plug's terminals for corrosion.