Ran Out Of Gas---Wont Start Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstroy86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my truck sat for a week while i was rebuilding the rear end, and it maybe had two gallons of fuel in it while it sat. I got the rear end fixed and drove it around for a day without thinking and obviously I ran out of gas. I put about 4 gallons of gas in it, and it still wont start. If I spray some starting fluid in the throttle body it will run for a few seconds then die, so its not a spark issue. I suspect it may be a bad fuel pump, but want to hear other thoughts before I condemn the pump.

Any tips will help, gotta get this thing rolling again tomorrow.

UPDATE: Got it fixed this afternoon, it was indeed a bad fuel pump. There was absolutely no sound of it priming when i would turn the key on, so I dropped the tank, replaced the pump, and now she runs fine.
Thanks Everyone.

Last edited:

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you getting fuel to the rails? there should be a port with a schrader(sp?) that you can check. Also your gonna have air in the line and will need to cycle it a few time to try and get the air out. But if you ran out of fuel and then added more you have more that likely clogged your fuel filter with any junk from the tank. I would first replace the fuel filter then try again after that you need to check and see if you have any fuel pressure to know if the pump is bad.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Have you checked for a clogged fuel filter?
When you run out of gas you suck any dirt and gunk in the bottom of the tank through the fuel lines
When you turn the key to the on position you should hear a relay click and the fuel pump come on

OP
OP
C

cstroy86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ya i pushed down on that little valve your talking about and no fuel shot out. On the filter, as far as i can tell the only filter in it is part of the whole pump module inside the tank. Ive heard that there is a mesh sock on it that might be clogged also, which should be relatively easy to see once its out.

OP
OP
C

cstroy86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should probably specify that its an 05 1500 with the 4.7 V8

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you checked for a clogged fuel filter?
When you run out of gas you suck any dirt and gunk in the bottom of the tank through the fuel lines
When you turn the key to the on position you should hear a relay click and the fuel pump come on

This. Are you hearing the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the on position?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
With there only being alill fuel in it you could drop the tank and full the pump and check the pickup

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My first guess would be a clogged fuel filter. As others have said, turn the key to the ON position but don't start and you should hear the slight whine of the fuel pump priming.