random stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
So guys I have an issue. Never had this problem but recently my truck stalls when I come to a stop. I tested the battery, alternator and the starter. It has relatively new plugs and I don't think it is related to spark.

however I work t advance auto and this lady has been completely redoing all of her electronic systems on her chrysler minivan. So she described it randomly stalling while driving and stopping. She also said she did some research and found that it is a control module relay. This control module I believe is either ADS or ABS control module. And it acts as a shut off system. Shuts off spark, the fuel pump, and all that other good stuff. And usually the electronic systems are similar In chrysler dodges and jeeps even if it is a totally different model

What is your guys opinion? It has only stalled once while j was driving and it has stalled around 4 times lately when I come to a stop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Battery alternator and starter all tested good by the way forgot that part

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I would think that if it were a bad auto shut down (ASD) relay that it wouldn't run at all. You could make sure that its got a good connection and isn't corroded or dirty. Random stalling with no codes always makes me think fuel pump. I had a '97 Ram that stalled at the same stop sign several times before the fuel pump finally went out.

waffleman10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I previously had a second generation ram and I had this same problem, it was the Idle air control valve that needed to be replaced. I now have a 2004 and within the first week of me driving my truck it stalled and it was the IAC again. I think its a pretty common problem with dodges.

lanceam24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
are you getting a check engine light? my gf just bought a 2006 big horn 4.7 that was doing this. When I got on the throttle HARD it would sputter like my turbo Miata does when I hit overboost protection. Hers sputters during hard acceleration and sometimes kills at stop lights and stuff. Got p0344 on the scanner which pointed to the cam sensor... changed it and 30 min later the issue was solved.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I previously had a second generation ram and I had this same problem, it was the Idle air control valve that needed to be replaced. I now have a 2004 and within the first week of me driving my truck it stalled and it was the IAC again. I think its a pretty common problem with dodges.

Oh yeah, forgot that your '04 4.7L has an IAC. Good call.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
No no codes unfortunately. The only check engine light my truck has ever gotten was for my transmission solenoid pack. Which has been replaced. I have a fuel pressure Guage however that sending unit went bad after the first week of of the 6 sending units I've had... so I can't check fuel pressure.... but j had a feeling it might be the fuel pump. I'll scan my truck and see if any codes are being thrown that decide to hide behind the unlit cel.

waffleman10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5.7L doesn't have a separate IAC, everything is integrated into the TB and is controlled by the PCM aka fly by wire.

I did not know that... my mechanic said he unplugged the IAC and cleaned it off, whatever he did he fixed the stalling problem.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had the same prob with my 06 hemi. I talked to a mech and he suggested a full tune up. So I cleaned my trottle body today, and began on the plugs, will finish plugs tomorrow. Then I'll just see if it stalls on me again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock