Randomly shuts off/ won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey, Guys

I posted in this group about a few weeks ago about a "cold start issue" and now the issue got worse.

Yesterday morning when I was going to work, I was in a school zone doing 20mph my truck started bogging out. as I was continuing on the gas it was acting like it was trying to go but kept bogging out and eventually died on me.

I was able to coast in a driveway. Put it in gear, pulled the key and then retried to start. the truck acted like it wanted to a couple of times but nothing successful. This is all with a half a tank of gas as well.

Here's the tricky part: Got it towed to my Mechanic that I've used for over 10 years, he told me that the truck started right up and is running now. he let it run for awhile and turned it off. Did some investigating and hasn't come across anything but went back to start it up and it wouldn't start for him! Truck sat over night and gave him a call today for an update and the truck is now running and they are test driving.

I am stuck and at a complete lost and need some help.

I think its electrical, and he says that hes checked everything.

Does anybody have any suggestions or has come across this issue?

Thank you!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It could be a million different things. It as to be narrowed down to either fuel,spark or air, and all have their own system so it's hard to say bud. Intermittent things suck, I wish if it was going to go then just go, don't play with me.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So because of the fact you say it bogs before stalling i doubt its this as this would simply cause it to shut off but at this point its worth testing. i had a 2000 grand prix gt that would randomly shut off while driving, then sometimes not start back up and sometimes it would... happened completely random and me (decently wrench inclined) and my buddy (has like 8 different ASE certs) could not figure it out. after the problem going on for like 2 months and getting stranded multiple times i said screw this and took it to my brothers mechanic (custom build mechanic) and in about 5 minutes he figured it out.... it was my freaking key lol, after X amount of years some of the notches wore down just enough to where the slightest little movement and it would let a tumbler move just enough to tell the car the key was out and it would die... again this doesnt sound like your problem because of the bogging but why not try it... when it starts, just jiggle the key up and down a little, it should NOT shut off, if it does then bam there is at least one problem

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So because of the fact you say it bogs before stalling i doubt its this as this would simply cause it to shut off but at this point its worth testing. i had a 2000 grand prix gt that would randomly shut off while driving, then sometimes not start back up and sometimes it would... happened completely random and me (decently wrench inclined) and my buddy (has like 8 different ASE certs) could not figure it out. after the problem going on for like 2 months and getting stranded multiple times i said screw this and took it to my brothers mechanic (custom build mechanic) and in about 5 minutes he figured it out.... it was my freaking key lol, after X amount of years some of the notches wore down just enough to where the slightest little movement and it would let a tumbler move just enough to tell the car the key was out and it would die... again this doesnt sound like your problem because of the bogging but why not try it... when it starts, just jiggle the key up and down a little, it should NOT shut off, if it does then bam there is at least one problem

I will definitely have that checked out! Thanks for that tip!

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will definitely have that checked out! Thanks for that tip!
Hope you get it figured out man! and if you do post what it was please, I'm very interested to find out what is the culprit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hope you get it figured out man! and if you do post what it was please, I'm very interested to find out what is the culprit

Does this issue sound like a TIPM issue? The truck has been at the mechanic for over a week now and he can't figure it out. he's done all the test and checked all around, no issues found. He keeps telling me the truck starts fine and is running. test drove it the other day and found nothing.

I have read up on similar issues and seeing that some guys are saying possibly the TIPM, but other issues are occurring as well like, wipers and horn not working. that's not the case here! I Just don't want to fork up an extreme amount of money and replace it if that wasn't the issue

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does this issue sound like a TIPM issue? The truck has been at the mechanic for over a week now and he can't figure it out. he's done all the test and checked all around, no issues found. He keeps telling me the truck starts fine and is running. test drove it the other day and found nothing.

I have read up on similar issues and seeing that some guys are saying possibly the TIPM, but other issues are occurring as well like, wipers and horn not working. that's not the case here! I Just don't want to fork up an extreme amount of money and replace it if that wasn't the issue
I can't give you a ton of TIPM knowledge as I'm not a electrical system guru for sure lol but a few things I can say for sure is all the other side effects of TIPM failure is just a case by case deal, just because someone (or many) had warning signs before total failure does not mean you will. There have been people that had a flawlessly working truck when they parked it in the garage at night, next morning go to go to work and dead in the water TIPM failure. SYMPTOMS are (but not limited to) not starting, intermittent starting, airbags blowing out at random lol, horn not working or working by a ghost, possessed power windows lol, possessed power locks, possessed wipers or wipers not working, fuel pump staying on after engine shut off, engine stalling, all kinds of light issues, radio not working..... the list is huge unfortunately because well, every dang thing electrical has to get the ok from the boss (TIPM) to do what your telling it to do, or sometimes the boss tells it to do things your not lol like the ghost locks. I can't tell you that it is for sure your TIPM, all I can say is it fits the bill.... but could potentially be something else as well. I can tell you though rockauto.com has the full TIPM plug and play requires no programming (there words not mine) for $451. It is a easy install as well. They also have remanufactured ones for $360 however I do not know if they require programming or not

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I can't give you a ton of TIPM knowledge as I'm not a electrical system guru for sure lol but a few things I can say for sure is all the other side effects of TIPM failure is just a case by case deal, just because someone (or many) had warning signs before total failure does not mean you will. There have been people that had a flawlessly working truck when they parked it in the garage at night, next morning go to go to work and dead in the water TIPM failure. SYMPTOMS are (but not limited to) not starting, intermittent starting, airbags blowing out at random lol, horn not working or working by a ghost, possessed power windows lol, possessed power locks, possessed wipers or wipers not working, fuel pump staying on after engine shut off, engine stalling, all kinds of light issues, radio not working..... the list is huge unfortunately because well, every dang thing electrical has to get the ok from the boss (TIPM) to do what your telling it to do, or sometimes the boss tells it to do things your not lol like the ghost locks. I can't tell you that it is for sure your TIPM, all I can say is it fits the bill.... but could potentially be something else as well. I can tell you though rockauto.com has the full TIPM plug and play requires no programming (there words not mine) for $451. It is a easy install as well. They also have remanufactured ones for $360 however I do not know if they require programming or not

WOW.. That's awesome! And I use Rockauto. Not sure why I didn't think of it. This TIPM (DORMAN 599902) says for 4WD, i'm 2WD. Do you know anything about this TIPM as far as programming? Wondering if it's set to all specifications for our trucks because i'm hearing from everywhere that it haves to be programmed to the specific vehicle.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW.. That's awesome! And I use Rockauto. Not sure why I didn't think of it. This TIPM (DORMAN 599902) says for 4WD, i'm 2WD. Do you know anything about this TIPM as far as programming? Wondering if it's set to all specifications for our trucks because i'm hearing from everywhere that it haves to be programmed to the specific vehicle.

i really dont know the answer to that, maybe e-mail rouckauto and ask them? i mean it does claim it does NOT need to be programmed but idk. While at it id definitely ask about the 4wd and if that matters or not. if you search here for the thread "rockauto discount code thread" i just posted a 5% off discount code thats still good if you do decide to go through them. save a extra couple bucks :happy107:

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i really dont know the answer to that, maybe e-mail rouckauto and ask them? i mean it does claim it does NOT need to be programmed but idk. While at it id definitely ask about the 4wd and if that matters or not. if you search here for the thread "rockauto discount code thread" i just posted a 5% off discount code thats still good if you do decide to go through them. save a extra couple bucks :happy107:

Update: first, the two TIPM's on rockauto are for 4WD only. those will not work for my 2WD. Second, I'm still in the hunt for a TIPM for my truck, my mechanic wants to charge me $1500 parts, labor and programming. to get it new from a dealership, $1340 for just the tipm. I am trying to find it used. I'm hearing as long as the part number matches my original one I don't need to program. I am not sure if that's true or not. Has anyone come across this issue? I am picking the truck up today and driving it on hopes, prayers and dreams to get it home!

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Cardone Reman Total Integrated Power Module 73-1523 - Read Reviews on Cardone Reman #73-1523

Look at this one, i think its the correct one but check for yourself. remanufactured but a heck of a lot cheaper then 1340

there is 2 different ones that claim to fit your truck if i entered the info correct, different part numbers

I'll have to call and see if those will work. Thanks for the research! Those part #'s aren't even close to what mine is P04692118AH They also have one that ends with "AG" same numerical numbers and the dealership says the letters just means one is revised than the other.

However, I did order the tipm locally off Ebay Sunday night, apparently that's all these guys sale so they kinda specialize in them. They only offer a 90 day warranty. I will say Autozone has the better deal for kinda the same price, they offer a 1yr warranty. I'm kinda kicking myself in the butt. Never thought of checking there since I gave up on Autozone a long time ago!

But anyhow, I picked the truck up from the mechanic Friday night, drove it about 15 miles or so to the house with No problem! Been driving it to work Monday and today. Even that cold start hesitation went away, I believe I posted that issue in another thread, but it's not taking that extra second or two to fire up! :word:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to call and see if those will work. Thanks for the research! Those part #'s aren't even close to what mine is P04692118AH They also have one that ends with "AG" same numerical numbers and the dealership says the letters just means one is revised than the other.

However, I did order the tipm locally off Ebay Sunday night, apparently that's all these guys sale so they kinda specialize in them. They only offer a 90 day warranty. I will say Autozone has the better deal for kinda the same price, they offer a 1yr warranty. I'm kinda kicking myself in the butt. Never thought of checking there since I gave up on Autozone a long time ago!

But anyhow, I picked the truck up from the mechanic Friday night, drove it about 15 miles or so to the house with No problem! Been driving it to work Monday and today. Even that cold start hesitation went away, I believe I posted that issue in another thread, but it's not taking that extra second or two to fire up! :word:
Nice man! Hopefully the new TIPM swap will be plug and play and all issues solved!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Automotix.com has them for 130$ and if it doesn't work or it shows up at you're door all full of corrosion, they will replace it quickly as many times as you need at no cost, and you get to keep the hundreds of dollars in fuses and relays. They don't want the old ones back. I ordered 4 and all came full of fuses/relays. The other three were corroded so I didn't even try them in case it corrupts my pcm so the fourth one was a charm, no corrosion, rust or broken pigtail connections on the underside of tipcm. Just make sure you put dielectric grease on all electrical connections throughout the entire truck because moisture is the demise of the 3 gens. Good luck bud.

And yes the tipcm needs to be programmed to your vin n wheel size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nice man! Hopefully the new TIPM swap will be plug and play and all issues solved!

Automotix.com has them for 130$ and if it doesn't work or it shows up at you're door all full of corrosion, they will replace it quickly as many times as you need at no cost, and you get to keep the hundreds of dollars in fuses and relays. They don't want the old ones back. I ordered 4 and all came full of fuses/relays. The other three were corroded so I didn't even try them in case it corrupts my pcm so the fourth one was a charm, no corrosion, rust or broken pigtail connections on the underside of tipcm. Just make sure you put dielectric grease on all electrical connections throughout the entire truck because moisture is the demise of the 3 gens. Good luck bud.

And yes the tipcm needs to be programmed to your vin n wheel size.

Thanks guys, I truly appreciate all the help! Giving an update here, after ordering the TIPM off the internet, I actually put it in my back seat and drove the truck for 12 days before the warranty went out on it. I ended up sending back the TIPM collecting back my $300 because the truck is not showing anymore issues! After 6 weeks today from the time I picked it up from the mechanic she has been a good girl...LOL

I want to say I had a loose line or air in the system, I have absolutely no idea.. IDK.. but whatever the mechanic did for testing, trial an error, for the week he had it somehow its fixed! :word:

Thanks guys! :favorites13:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome brotha!

CANDY PERT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 V8
We had a TIPM issue on an 09 Dodged grand caravan (don't laugh please ... ) we owned 6 years ago. It was my daily driver and Hubby drove the truck. At that time, there was a huge waiting list just for the dealer to get the part and according to the dealer it did have to be programmed. Of course a lot has changed since then, at that time you could only get the part from the dealer. We also had the issue with the key and on the caravan there was a recall so that part was free. We never had the TIPM cause the whole time we had the vehicle our name never came up on that huge waiting list. We did discover that if you unhooked the battery for about 5 or 10 minutes and then hooked it all back up, it would reset everything and it would be a week or so before it did it again. It would die on us, the wipers, horn, radio, windows, etc., would go absolutely crazy like it was possessed. We drove it like that til we finally traded it ( Hubby hated it cause he ended up having to drive it and I drove the truck...lol, as I didn't have the strength to hook and unhook). A tree fell on my 04 Lexus during Tropical Storm Eta and I was looking for a truck. I found an 03 Ram 1500 until I saw it had issues with shutting off. I ran as fast as I could...lol. Anyway, it sounds like maybe the beginning of a bad TIPM issue, from what Preston described.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did the mechanic check for codes?.............Did the engine go into 'LIMP MODE' before it died? Do you ever smell raw fuel? Have you checked the 'Mass Flow Air Sensor?'........Most importantly have you had the fuel pump checked??