Real advantages of a 6.1 oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I ordered one along with all the other goodies for my cam swap, but I've been reading around and I'm not sure it's truly worth it?

Do they flow more to the whole engine? I read one place they only provide more oil to the rings, no valve train or anything...

Other boards say the higher volume eats up power, which stands to reason but I doubt it's noticeable.

I have 50K miles on my 05 HEMI running synth since day one. If it's between a 6.1 pump and new timing set, which would you do?

Thoughts? Stats?

Cheers

frostking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ordered one along with all the other goodies for my cam swap, but I've been reading around and I'm not sure it's truly worth it?

Do they flow more to the whole engine? I read one place they only provide more oil to the rings, no valve train or anything...

The 6.1 engine has a higher volume pump than the 5.7 due to use of piston oil squirters that the 5.7 does not have. Using a 6.1 pump on a 5.7 will result in the same volume of pumped oil because the 5.7 oil path is more restrictive and the pressure relief valve in the pump will simply bypass the excess pressure.

OP
OP
MyOhFive

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
So basically pointless to install on a 5.7...

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I believe it will give you higher oil pressure overall. My theory why Inertia is sending me a 6.1L oil pump is because the main crank and connecting rod bearing clearances are a little larger on the rebuilt engine than from the factory and would benefit from higher oil pressure. Maybe for a cam swap it wouldn't matter as much unless your rpms are going be really high.

frostking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So basically pointless to install on a 5.7...

As already mentioned, most built engines will have larger tolerances on the bearings and could benefit from more flow.