rear differential fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldtown59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
What kind of fluid is recommended? I'am a newbie and learning as I go. In the owners manual it stats to use 75/140 , but also stats 75/90? My truck is an 2008 v6 4x2.. Last night I purchased 75/140 mobil 1. I just want some clarification that its correct. I dont know if its limited slip neither. Confuse to where I can find this information for my truck..This may be in the wrong category I've noticed. Any help is appreciated.

Mattkassebaum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Hemi
Not telling you to do it, but I have an 03 and had to take the cover off and put a new seal in last year and I cleaned it out and put regular Lucas gear oil in it and have had zero problems. Its thick enough that it sticks to all the teeth and fluid enough to flow free. That is what most people run in heavy trucks like Peterbilts and those kinds, so I figured it would work on my little Dodge! Lucas also gauruntees its product and it is a good product. My 03 has 204,000 on it and I also use Lucas oil stabilizer with every oil change, so I trust them enough to put it in my engine. You can buy both at Autozone. Just a thought.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
As a newbie I would recommend going to a shop and having it done. I did this, did everything by the book and 6 months later had to have the whole axle rebuilt. I don't know if me changing it myself had something to do with it, but I would just hate for you to go through the same thing I did.

As stated above, you for sure, need to see if it has an LSD. I'm guessing that with your engine and drive type you don't have an LSD, but you still should find out for future reference, better to be safe than sorry.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Go outside and power lock it.. if you have one rubber mark it's a open differential and if you have two rubber marks, it has limited slip. Plus you'll have a lil fun lol.

OP
OP
O

Oldtown59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
Whats power lock? How to perform it?

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
He only has a V6, how much fun can the lad have with that))))))

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put Mobil one 75w90 synthetic, with lsd additive. Feels way better than before. No chatter. First time I ever did it too. Pretty simple.

OP
OP
O

Oldtown59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
Hey man, only a V6 Iam not guna do a burn out lol. Tomorrow morning I'am jacking up the rear. Just to be sure again.....if both tires spin same direction its a LSD??? I am already prepare for the fluid change. I have my gasket maker, fluid (which may be wrong) got some brake cleaner left guna clean everything got my scraper. I am prepared!

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Jack up the rear, leave the trans in park, (or in gear if a manual trans) engine off.
If you can turn 1 rear wheel by hand and the other side spins the opposite direction you do not have limited slip.
If you cannot turn either tire by hand you do have limited slip.
Or just put in the addative, if you do not have limited slip it wont hurt a thing putting it in anyway

Last edited:

Srsheets86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of fluid is recommended? I'am a newbie and learning as I go. In the owners manual it stats to use 75/140 , but also stats 75/90? My truck is an 2008 v6 4x2.. Last night I purchased 75/140 mobil 1. I just want some clarification that its correct. I dont know if its limited slip neither. Confuse to where I can find this information for my truck..This may be in the wrong category I've noticed. Any help is appreciated.

Royal purple 100%. Mopar doesn't even recommend using mobil1 synthetic oil in our engines. They won't cover any malfunction if you tell them you used Mobil1. You should be able to find a sticker on your axel that tells you what gears you have. It may be gone since its a 2008. It will be a limited slip. Just roast the tires to see if both spin lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

Oldtown59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
I checked for a tag and axles no numbers i found. So you all think its just fine to use the LSD additive even if its not lsd? I'll check out royal purple 100% see if its in stock.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could put your vin in a dodge build sheet generator an it tell you everything. On my 04 it still has a tag on axel near the brakes an back of the wheel. I beleive it says it in the glove box tho my paper in there has been torn out before I had it.

Fwiw I've used 75-140 both times I've changed out fluid but I have 4.56s an lsd

OP
OP
O

Oldtown59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
St-8 thank you for that. I found mt info on my truck. Great to see everything. My truck has 9.25 LD rear axle. So I'am guessing its not lsd. So it is fine to add the lsd additive to a non lsd??

OP
OP
O

Oldtown59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
Ok. With a little google searching I found out my truck is a 3.73 and its anti spin differential rear axle. Similar to LSD. This weekend will change fluid finally. Thank you all for for help.