Rough Idle 2006 1500 4.7 Big Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed recently that when I start the engine it will rev several times then it will settle down, and then it can be rough when at stop lights, also can seem a little sluggish going up hills. So I had new plugs put in, fuel system cleaned, changed the air filter, oil change and for good measure changed out the transmission fluid and rear diff. fluid.

But the issue still remains, not sure what it is, any ideas?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to RF. members with ideas will chime in soon

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome.
hmm not sure, has it thrown any codes? Rough idle and sluggishness could be the egr possibly.

RamSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
What's the rpm range at stop light?
When you say it revs, what's the lowest it revs and the highest rev?

Reason why I ask is I've had a bunch of a vehicles do that and it's always been the EGR or the throttle positioning sensor has gone bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drkmtr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From all my research with a similar problem, it is usually the Idle Air Controller or the Throttle Position Sensor or both. There is a great video on YouTube for testing the TPS. If it is bad, there ya go; if not look at the IAC, they are really cheap on RockAuto. I had to clean my IAC up, the dang crankcase vent is so close in the airbox to the IAC that it can get gummed up and stop working correctly. Not all of the 4.7's have an EGR valve, so make sure your year and version has one before going down that road. I wasted some serious time trying to get a new EGR valve for mine only to discover that it didn't even have one nor does it have fuel "filter" either. Good luck in getting it fixed, and shop around for your prices on the TPS and IAC, some places are rip offs for them.