Royal purple vs redline engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Alright guys, I was wondering if any of you have compared these two in your trucks and what your thoughts are on them. I'm wanting to try something better cause when my truck sits for a extended period of time it taps for a few seconds at first start up and the fact that it's getting older I'd like to keep it well lubricated in there. They seem pretty similar and great reviews from what I've read on the net just the $30 price difference for 7 quarts is what's makin me wonder if the redline is worth it? And does movin up to 5w30 help out any? I've seen some hemi guys running that instead of 5w20. Thanks for any input!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Either of them will be fine. I've used both before but I have nothing good nor bad to say about either. They were oil when they went in the engine, and they were oil when they came back out. I'm all about using good oil in my vehicles, but when talking about most higher end brands, for the most part oil is oil. Change it when it should be changed along with the filter, and you won't have any oil related problems.

Personally I always stay with the recommended oil weight. If you start changing it around it is easy to overthink it and make it more complicated than it should be. Also, I'm sure you have your mds disabled because of the tuner, but different oil weights can cause issues with the mds system. But you don't have to worry about that.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another oil war. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Personally I always stay with the recommended oil weight. If you start changing it around it is easy to overthink it and make it more complicated than it should be. Also, I'm sure you have your mds disabled because of the tuner, but different oil weights can cause issues with the mds system. But you don't have to worry about that.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another oil war. Lol

Yea I probably wasn't going to change the oil weight cause I like following what's recommended, unless someone gave some really good or persuading input on it. And yea I think I'm starting to overthink it some from all the reading I've been doing that's why I wanted some real world input on it not scientific break downs you read on the net when you google it.

Lol yea I'm not trying to start a oil war or draw this thread out 500 pages like in the 4th gen section, just wanted the opinion of people that have used these two brands and end it there haha

Just outta curiosity, What oil do you use Justin?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I probably wasn't going to change the oil weight cause I like following what's recommended, unless someone gave some really good or persuading input on it. And yea I think I'm starting to overthink it some from all the reading I've been doing that's why I wanted some real world input on it not scientific break downs you read on the net when you google it.

Lol yea I'm not trying to start a oil war or draw this thread out 500 pages like in the 4th gen section, just wanted the opinion of people that have used these two brands and end it there haha

Just outta curiosity, What oil do you use Justin?

I just use Mobil 1 5w20 full synthetic with a Mopar filter. Generally the factory filters are much better than the ones from parts stores.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Royal Purple in my motor once before I switched back to Mobil 1. I had a lot more motor noise/ Hemi tick with the Royal Purple it seemed like, and it seemed to be thinner when it came out... but maybe I'm crazy lol. At any rate, I'll be using Mobil 1 from now on. If I rebuild my motor in the future as I plan to, I'll probably go with Mobil 1 then too, unless I find something better.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I've always used the mopar filters. I'm just trying to find something that doesn't drain down to the oil pan so fast. Seems like the full synthetic I use just doesn't stick to the parts that well cause I have good oil pressure and it doesn't use any oil, just hate how it taps on start ups sometimes.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe switch back to dino oil? Or Pennzoil syn? I heard that sticks more, but I see that gunking up the motor fast

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I think I'm just gonna give the redline a try. I've ran full synthetic in the truck since I've had it. I've read other guys saying the redline really quiets their motors and gets rid of the hemi tick.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I can say that I've tried both of them and I have settled on Redline 10w30 with a Royal Purple filter. The Redline has a higher molybdenum content which completely got rid of my valve train noise which was very loud with the long tubes and cam. I ran Royal Purple 5w20 and Mobil 1 and startup and valve train noise we bad with both.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Okay thank you, this is the verification I was looking for. The start up is my biggest concern but at idle and with my exhaust you can here the valve train a good bit. I've just gotten use to that but can't handle the start up noises.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I just did my oil change last night and put in the redline 5w-20 full synthetic oil and I can honestly say this is the quietest my motor has ever sounded in the 6.5 years I've owned it. Pretty impressed!

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've run mobil one and RP back and forth, pending what i have on the shelf at work. no notable difference at all.

I have read enough guys stray from the 5w20 and have terrible MDS problems to ever try anything other than 5w20...

If i had to pay retail price, i'd never deviate from mobil1.

FYI the NAPA gold filters are re-branded WIX filters...good and inexpensive option also.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I buy Mobil 1. I tried RP once and I lost oil over the 4.5k miles it was in there, was down about a quart. Mobil 1 is always right where it was when it went in. Not sure why.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I've been told the mds is picky so that's why I stayed with 5w-20. I just use the mopar oi filter and I use to use Mobil synthetic from the dealership cause that's where I do all my work since my dad is the manager at our local dealership but my motor has always been kinda noisy with the lifters and if I left it sit a while sometimes it would tap for a second or two at first start til the oil circulated so it seemed like it drained off all the internal parts while it sat. Didn't like that since I work 12 hour shifts and I'm one of few mopar guys at my job and they'd always give me **** about it lol damn gm guys. So time will tell if I stick with this stuff since it's only day two but as of now I'm happy with it.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I buy Mobil 1. I tried RP once and I lost oil over the 4.5k miles it was in there, was down about a quart. Mobil 1 is always right where it was when it went in. Not sure why.

After doing more research I found that RP seems to be over rated but haven't read anything bad about the redline so far.

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could someone post a link to where they are getting their redline oil from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just did my oil change last night and put in the redline 5w-20 full synthetic oil and I can honestly say this is the quietest my motor has ever sounded in the 6.5 years I've owned it. Pretty impressed!

You have just convinced me on changing over to the redline. Curious what filter did you use and where did you get it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shelby

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always ran Royal Purple, but next oil change I will give Redline a shot.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I changed my oil to Red Line my Hemi tick was gone.

Also, I just changed the oil in my 2016 Wrangler to Red Line 5w20, with the same results... A quiter, smoother sounding engine.