Royal purple vs redline engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When I changed my oil to Red Line my Hemi tick was gone.

Also, I just changed the oil in my 2016 Wrangler to Red Line 5w20, with the same results... A quiter, smoother sounding engine.

Yea I was considering putting it in my wife's new grand Cherokee also.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You should really disable that MDS :favorites13:

After reading the Synthetic oil thread i will never run 0W20 again in my HEMI. im running 0w30 with great success.

I did turn mine off for a short period but my mpg's dropped down 2-3 mpg so I turned it back on. Doesn't bother me that much being on.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There are scientific reasons why Redline quiets an engine, esters and high moly. Only Motul has a similar formula in time tested oils. However, it is generally believed the Ester base in Redline is higher quality as proven by the way it holds viscosity at operating temps. The two brands are almost clones, but Redline is an American company and has slightly better numbers and best of all is cheaper, but definetly not cheap. You can't find a better oil to guard against shear or unwanted engine noises.

Royal Purple used to be one of the oil guys favorite, but since those days they changed the formula and it is less popular. However, they maintained that good formula and put it in their HPS oil, so they have good moly count and zinc in HPS, but not their otc stuff and neither of them have an ester based. If I was going to use RP, I would use their HPS.

But, I love their oil filters, I have tested them past 14 months and they still are like new. I now run them 2 years with my Redline oil change interval, but in those 2 years I only go 10k miles, I have tested this and still have 3tbn, so basically that means I could literally go another year on that oil, but to stay safe I keep it down to a 2 year oil change interval. The super oils pay for themselves because they combat acid much longer and do not shear off viscosity, so you can run them 2 to 3 times longer then their competition. There are other benefits as well, read the Syn thread in 4 gen if you want to learn more in oil. But if you use any paper filter even mopar, you literally should be changing your oil every 3k miles or 3 months. Synthetic filters are spun microglass, they simply do not degrade. Try running one for a year and cutting it open, see for yourself.

Penzoil synthetics have some good wear numbers as proven by used oil analysis's, PUP or PP seam to be good choices as well. That's my opinion for what it worth, but always double check info because one thing that always changes in oil formulations and technology.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What brand filters do you recommend? My minivan only has 30k miles on it and I plan to keep that for years.

I'd like to start running better oils and filters on it to extend change intervals, and protect it more.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The newest technology is micro glass filters, I use Royal Purple but it can be Wix XP or Napa Platinum as well. Many guys also like Fram Ultra. All of these are spun microglass and stay effective for way longer then your oil will. But you should change your filter with your oil. You have to use those exact names because all 3 of those companies have other paper filters as well, only RP just makes synthetic filters. Purolator has a microglass as well, but my truck didn't like the flow of that brand. I believe RP has the best flow, but Wix XP may be slightly more efficient meaning it catches smaller micron size first pass. Can't go wrong either way.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wow thanks for the info on the filters. Might have to look into switching that to on the next oil change. Didn't realize the mopar one would break down that fast. I average 10k miles a year at most and change my oil every 5k religiously.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You're welcome. It is very easy to just change the filter and then top off your oil. So if you want to run your oil for a year, just change the filter. If you want to run it 6 months, I would probably just go ahead and run that Mopar, maybe think about that next time. And don't take my word for it, cut open that Mopar filter after 6 months. It will be hard and crispy as all of the glue binding that cellulose together will be shot. 14 months after using a Royal Purple filter it was still pliable like new. Read the synthetic oil thread in 4 gen, it's all posted with pics. good luck,

I would say with a 5k mile OCI, you probably will be ok with mopar filters. That is definitely at the end of the range though. Almost EVERY paper filter says not recommended past 3k miles.

Also, if you are running Redline, don't change it at 5k miles, that is a waste. Again, I have tested the longevity in the syn thread with uoa's. Just about any synthetic oil should be able to handle 7500 to 10k or a year whatever comes first, with a synthetic filter. Redline and Amsoil with usually go over 15k miles. Once you found an oil, I would do a UOA just to confirm.

The most important thing to oil wear is a properly running pcv, make sure you replace that with whatever the manuel says.

Last edited:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't seen synthetic filters for my van, which is the kind you remove the cap and its just the paper element that you put in there. Have you seen any?

Because if I can't get a good filter, I may as well stay with Mobil one.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What is your application, make model engine size etc. I'll look it up. My wife has a canister filter and everyone makes one for hers.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I've read a majority of the 4th gen syn oil thread, that's what got me interested in the redline oil. Didn't read all of it cause there's so many pages and some people throwing their opinions in there instead of facts. I've read that the synthetic oils can last that many miles but it just always made me nervous letting them go that long. 5k just seemed like a reasonable number to me but now I'd hate to waste the redline oil since it is a lil pricey but worth making my motor happy to me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well bud there are many guys doing the Redline UOA's, and Blackstone labs are the guys who safely tell you how many miles you can safely run. Reading UOA's is usually how guys give their opinion on how long you can run an oil, but every vehicle is different too. It is worth it to do just one Used Oil Analysis. They will send you a kit for free, and you send a check for 35 bucks to add TBN, and it will give you an idea how your oil is doing by professionals. I have had 2 UOA's on Redline and the last one I still had 3 TBN after 2 years and 10k miles. Robust oils can really go far. But hey, if you got that much extra cash go for it, no downside for changing oil early.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That is impressive it lasts that long. I'll see how it holds up this oil change and get a synthetic oil filter like you suggested and see about extending the mileage since it appears to hold up that well. Thanks again for all the input.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Total Base Number, as long as you have 1 your oil is combating TAN or total acid number. When you srill have 3, means your oil is still young assuming you have proper filtration, oil starts at 7 to 10 tbn and loses 1 tbn really fast then slowly dissolves. When you are at zero, rust and oxidation of metal starts. I know that vehicle will be a challenge to find a syn filter from past experience, but I will try.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Only filter I could find was fram tough guard part synthetic filter. Better then paper but not as good as 100% spun. Part # TG11665 FRAM TOUGH GAURD.

The only premium filter I didn't check was Amsoil, I would check that first and if not stock up on the tough guard. I may still opt for Penzoil Synthetics if I couldn't find a spun micro, because if you use Redline Oil that will outlast that tough guard filter as well. Anyhow, part good news for you, a step up from pure paper filters.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Fkin A, that price is like 2012 pricing. I just gor a killer deal on Redline tranny fluid from Jegs, stupid pricing on c+. I was hoping sometime they did something similar on oil, but this is pretty good. Gotta check what I have left in my garage, I just may be ordering a couple cases. I post that price up in syn thread.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only filter I could find was fram tough guard part synthetic filter. Better then paper but not as good as 100% spun. Part # TG11665 FRAM TOUGH GAURD.

The only premium filter I didn't check was Amsoil, I would check that first and if not stock up on the tough guard. I may still opt for Penzoil Synthetics if I couldn't find a spun micro, because if you use Redline Oil that will outlast that tough guard filter as well. Anyhow, part good news for you, a step up from pure paper filters.

Haha well thank you for your help! I'll be stepping up next time for sure. How long would you run Redline and that dream filter for?

Thanks again for all the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye