Rpm Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Newly discovered issue with my '06 hemi. When driving at speeds of 50-95 kph my revs suddenly drop about 200 rpm and then bounce right back up. I can hear the motor bogging and returning to initial speeds. This is sometimes accompanied by a non severe shudder/bang from the rear end but not always. Camshaft/crankshaft position sensors? Fuel injection issues? Anybody else having trouble with their engine/tranny not happy to sit comfortably in a certain range?

OP
OP
L

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've since run Seafoam through the throttlebody and also added a fuel injector cleaner and this has helped the issue significantly. The issue is still present but not nearly as frequently and definitely less severe. I will run another round of Seafoam through the motor and a fuel injector cleaner after a normal tank of gas and see if this continues to help.

OP
OP
L

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Issue still present help guys!
at 60 mph the revs jump up about 150-200 rpm and then back down in a cycle almost. between 1600-1800. When going 45 mph constant speed there is sometimes a shudder that comes from the rear end and a small bang.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Sounds like the torque converter is locking and unlocking. When did you last change your spark plugs? You mentioned Seaform helped which is why I ask. Are you getting any codes? the TC should be throwing some.

OP
OP
L

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my spark plugs about 15000 km ago. I was getting a Throttle Body Actuator code and I thought great I can clean this and that will resolve this issue. I cleaned the Throttle body and again - helped lessen the issue but it is still there. No codes anymore and have never thrown a TC code. Thought it could be the EGR sticking open too long but the ECU picks up EGR codes very well so I now doubt that being the case. With the rpm fluctuation just being annoying but the shudder coming from the ass end being a little worrying I am stumped. Really running out of ideas now.