Should I get a coolant flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just gonna pour the stuff into the reservoir, no? and when the truck "burps"..how will i know it?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
explain...

sure...on my S10 I acutally had 2 of the prestone flush attachments on my truck...one in the intake hose for the core, one on the return hose of the core...I hooked the hose up to the intake hose to the core and let it un a bit, then hooked it up to the return hose...it flushes it both ways to better remove any gunk in the core...

I have seen alot of people only do the flush one way and iot doesnt get all the gunk out...especially when using the damned DEXCOOL for GM and the core clogs up sometimes after the one way flush...

Might not be the case with these systems since its reg antifreeze, but it sure cant hurt.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I was just gonna pour the stuff into the reservoir, no? and when the truck "burps"..how will i know it?

the best way to burp it is get the radiator fill cap higher than the thermostat...maybe pull the truck up on ramps if possible...fill the rad up, then start the truck...let the tstat cycle open, the coolant level should fall, then fill til full...replace cap...done

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is the truck gonna stall and then the level will drop, or will it still be running? i just dont get where all the prestone/water will go once the level drops..how will there be room in the radiator to fill it with the coolant mix?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
is the truck gonna stall and then the level will drop, or will it still be running? i just dont get where all the prestone/water will go once the level drops..how will there be room in the radiator to fill it with the coolant mix?

it cycles through the engine....if you dont fill it to proper level air pockets will form in the system and can cause it to overheat...

If you have your original rad cap too, it would be a great time to replace it...they do wear. And no it wont stall, just dont turn off your engine with the cap off once the tstat cycles...

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol alright so i should probably start the truck and just wait in front of it for the level to drop so i can pour this stuff in on que and not have the thing over heat..i would freak out if that ever happened

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
lol alright so i should probably start the truck and just wait in front of it for the level to drop so i can pour this stuff in on que and not have the thing over heat..i would freak out if that ever happened

exactly right...you will know when the tstat cycles open cause as soon as it does the level will drop...I mean it isnt gonna drop to where you will overheat, cause there is still some coolant in the block. You might end up only having to add maybe 1/4 gallon of coolant to your rad once the level drops...

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
damn, that little...af said i should make 4 gallons of coolant, and maybe i would get full before i got to the 4th gallon...either way, i'd rather have more than not enough

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I mean 1/4 gallon after you burp the system...of course you will be adding 95% of your coolant BEFORE you burp the system

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
the initial fill up will fill your resevoir, radiator, and inlet tube up to the thermostat. you will also have some remaining coolant in the tube between the motor and radiator. the only thing you'll be filling after the burp is some air pockets inside the motor

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok so

1. drain old coolant
2. add mix of water/prestone then start truck, wait for burp
3. add coolant mix until full
4. done

and should step 2 also be distilled water or is normal fine?

damn deja vu

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
hold on...you seem to have something mixed up....
1. drain old coolant
2.fill radiator with water and Prestone Super Flush (if youre gonna use the Super Flush, thats what I like to use)

3. replace rad cap, turn on engine, turn on heater to "HI"...let run for 10 or so mins until engine reaches normal operating temp

4. drain water prestone mix
5. forward and reverse flush the heater core with the "Prestone flush kit" and rinse out the radiator
6. add coolant to rad, expansion tank (overflow) til full
7. crank engine with the rad cap OFF, let the tstat cycle and add coolant as necessary
8. replace rad cap THEN turn off engine
9. grab the old lady and take her out somewhere nice to eat

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, and when i take the rad cap off (which I'm assuming is the reservoir cap?) with the engine already at normal op temp, the liquid isn't gonna go everywhere is it? since its under pressure and its hot? should i wait for the engine to cool down?

and can you clarify step 5, exactly what do you mean by forward and reverse flush? just pour the distilled water through the radiator until it runs clean?

and for step 2: I'm assuming i will use the whole bottle of the prestone super flush and then fill with water to the top?

Last edited:

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
ok, and when i take the rad cap off (which I'm assuming is the reservoir cap?) with the engine already at normal op temp, the liquid isn't gonna go everywhere is it? since its under pressure and its hot? should i wait for the engine to cool down?Make sure your engine is cool before taking the cap off...make this a first thing in the morning job

and can you clarify step 5, exactly what do you mean by forward and reverse flush? just pour the distilled water through the radiator until it runs clean?Go to your parts store and buy a Prestone Flush kit, what it is is a Tee fitting that you will attach in the intake hose of your heater core hose, it has a fitting so a hose can be attached to it and you can flush your core out...the absolute best way to flush your system and core out is to flush it BOTH ways...I wish I had some pics of this process and you can see exactly how easy it is...

and for step 2: I'm assuming i will use the whole bottle of the prestone super flush and then fill with water to the top?exactly

see notes in red

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, you'll use the whole bottle of the Prestone. And he's talking about flushing through both the inlet and outlet ports of the heater core, not just one like most people would do

Edit: Adam beat me to it lol

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, and the burp should come at the end of step 7, correct? then i would "add coolant as necessary" like you stated

also, i'm not too sure where the intake hose is, but i may have an idea

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
the heater core intake hose is the hose that goes from you water pump to the firewall...the return hose is the hose that goes from your intake to the firewall....

If you lived closer to me, we could knock this out in less than an hour tops...on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being a complicated job, this whole process is a 1.5