Should I get a coolant flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Correct. The coolant level will drop during step 7 once the thermostat opens

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i know its probably an easy process once i know exactly what im doing..new things seemed like they kept popping up so i kept getting confused

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
gotcha...it is easier than changing your oil...cause you dont have to get under the truck hahaha...

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i feel like i have the process down, its just the gadgets that im confused about..like measuring the coolant and stuff like that and how to get access to the intake and exit tubes..if i take those off i don't want coolant to go everywhere, you know? haha

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
you will actually be cutting you heater core hose that comes off the water pump and installing the flush kit attachment in between the two halves and securing it with hose clamps...all of which are included in the kit. Rather than buying a seperate kit for the hose going to your intake, you can pull it off of the intake and attach it to one side of the flush kit attachment to do your backflush.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if i knew exactly where the lines were i would most likely understand what you mean haha, wish there were pics like you said..it would clear up a lot

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I can post up a couple of pics of mine but I'm not sure how much help it'll be since I've got an older 2nd gen

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
the heater cores on the hemis run along the side of the motor (passenger side). They are 5/8" rubber lines. not sure if the 4.7 is the same or not.

Either way, you'll see 2 5/8 or 3/4" black rubber lines coming out of the firewall and going toward the front of the truck. Those are your heater core hoses

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The heater core hoses have "HEATER 5/8 IN" written right on them and run along the passenger side valve cover.

I don't know if the 4.7L in the Ram has the same deal as the 4.7L i had in my dakota but you might have to open a bleed screw on the upper radiator hose neck on the water pump or you'll never get enough coolant into the engine even after the t-stat opens. When the t-stat opens, you have to loosen the bleed screw (it was clearly labeled "BLEED") and then add coolant to the reservoir slowly keeping it close to the lower fill line as the air bleeds out the screw.