So... Whats next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone.
Been awhile since I've been on.
Hope this new year is treating ya'll kindly thus far :)

I have an '06 QC 5.7/3.73's 4x4 Stock.

Except, the DS tuner I got from Moe's last summer.

I'm needing to tailor my build more towards towing vs' racing.

I'll finally be doing the suspension upgrades I have been putting off at least and maybe some performance upgrades at most. Depending on how much I need to spend on suspension stuff:

Front Shocks
Rancho RS9000XL Front Adjustable Shock 02-08 Ram 15004WD Stock Height

Rear Shocks
Rancho RS9000XL Rear Adjustable Shock 02-08 Ram 1500 Stock Height

Do I need a rear swaybar? Will this one fit my 4x4?
Hellwig Rear Swaybar 02-08 Ram 1500

I'm also going with Airlift (iirc, they're T1000? :hmm:) airbags.

And hopefully this pretty much covers it for suspension unless I need what.. like tie rod/ball joint ends?

As I said, all I have right now for performance stuff is the DS tuner.
So, as far as performance, what next? And then?
I was thinking Vararam intake but guy I bought my DS from at Moes said It won't benefit me as much since I'm building for towing.
BUT, if I gotta go with a good CAI why not the Vararam?

So, CAI and Exhaust 2nd?
Again, I'm stumped here. Are there any one size fits all easy solutions???

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's your truck, put whatever you want. Better gears will help alot for towing, depending how much highway running you do (4.56's vs 3.92's/4.10's). Start with a decent exhaust. A good torque cam and a tune will do alot as well.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
A couple more ideas for towing would be a HD trans cooler, its is an easy and inexpensive mod. My truck is also a 4x4 with 3.73 gears and Matt at Moe's set me up with a 2400-2600 stall torque converter. With my stock tires, 3.73 gears and the overdrive turned off I'm turning 2500 rpm at 65 mph. At that speed the TC is locked up and producing the least amount of heat.

OP
OP
WulfGang

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's your truck, put whatever you want. Better gears will help alot for towing, depending how much highway running you do (4.56's vs 3.92's/4.10's). Start with a decent exhaust. A good torque cam and a tune will do alot as well.

Regarding gears,
I have another vehicle (2002 Ford Explorer) that I COULD drive to work... though it is a LOT less exciting lol.
Regardless, I'm not concerned about fuel mileage unless it's in the single digits!

Exhaust, now see, that's what I'm needing.

I wouldn't mind something louder than stock but I don't want to have to yell over it pulling the TT down the road at 2800rpm...

I talked to Matt from Moe's when I bought my DS and I had decided upon gears but it's REALLY expensive upgrade.

A couple more ideas for towing would be a HD trans cooler, its is an easy and inexpensive mod. My truck is also a 4x4 with 3.73 gears and Matt at Moe's set me up with a 2400-2600 stall torque converter. With my stock tires, 3.73 gears and the overdrive turned off I'm turning 2500 rpm at 65 mph. At that speed the TC is locked up and producing the least amount of heat.

I listed my spec sheet on here somewhere.
It has the tow package/tranny cooler.
I've not had any problems with coolant or fluid temps whilst towing.

Hey, doesn't that TC really only benefit takeoff?
I'm not really having a problem there...
I mean, I would do some performance mods for the obvious reason but my TT weighs app 8k lbs and I don't really have a problem pulling it. As far as "pulling" it goes...

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I listed my spec sheet on here somewhere.
It has the tow package/tranny cooler.
I've not had any problems with coolant or fluid temps whilst towing.

Hey, doesn't that TC really only benefit takeoff?
I'm not really having a problem there...
I mean, I would do some performance mods for the obvious reason but my TT weighs app 8k lbs and I don't really have a problem pulling it. As far as "pulling" it goes...

Mine has the tow package too but back in 2003 they offered an even larger transmission cooler. When I needed to rebuild my engine last year I put the larger cooler in because we also have a large TT and I thought it might help. I don't have a trans temp gauge so I don't know if it made a difference.

I haven't found a definitive answer anywhere but I believe the stock TC stall is around 2000 rpm so anything above or below that stall speed it will be slipping to some degree and producing heat. I figured between the TC and bigger trans cooler I would be keeping the transmission as cool as possible. A higher stall TC would also help get that big trailer moving easier.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This things huge! I run a 3200 converter an temps are in the 130-140 range haven't seen much higher than that since I've had trans number 2 in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 49

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Me too. I have an srt pillar with my wideband in it. I wanna ad a trans temp gauge along with a couple others in that cubby hole under the ac knobs. Keep it sleek an sleeperish, I've got some good hd options on my rcsb 2wd 1500 lol, 4.56s, LSD, 1-ton trans cooler, looking for a 4x4 pan still still tho compliments my performance mods.. Too bad I can't tow **** tho haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
WulfGang

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This things huge! I run a 3200 converter an temps are in the 130-140 range haven't seen much higher than that since I've had trans number 2 in

That doesn't interfere with airflow for coolant?

As far as gauges go I just have the Diablo Sport Trinity.

When I'm not towing I have one big gauge that it displays - a tach. Mine went out 2 weeks after I got the truck.

But when I tow there is an eng coolant digital number readout, AT fluid digital number, tach, and speedo that is all being displayed on the screen at once.

OP
OP
WulfGang

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's actually looking like I'm going to go with gears.

4.56's

Dunno what it's gonna cost but I think that's the best thing to do next.